• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bar Twist and Add-a-leaf

SC4x4Sport'96

Reaction score
City, State
Mountville, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
I think I'm getting ready to put the 2" lift by turning the torsion bars and using add-a-leaf on my 1996 explorer sport. Just wanted to know the best and easiest place to buy the add-a-leaf products. When installing the add-a-leaf how long should it take? and could someone with no experience complete the job? (are the directions clear?) I would also appreciate any other tips related to this sort of lift. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The add a leaf install shouldn't be too hard, even if you've never done it before. I have installed a set on an F-150, and my best friend installed a set on his Ranger, each with no trouble. I think you should be fine if you did them yourself.

Explorer Pro Comp makes a set of add a leafs for the 95-96 Explorers. I've looked for them on their website but never found them. The part number is somewhere on these boards, and you may pick them up from 4wheelparts. Just try a search for my user name and you'll find the thread.

Aww man, I just realized that you have a Sport. It's been discussed here that it may not be wise to put an add a leaf on Sports with the rear monoleaf. If yours has a monoleaf, you may want to get entire new leaf packs for the rear. Try a search for monoleaf, and you'll find a couple of threads concerning monoleafs and add a leafs.

Stephen is right. You won't be able to use a add-a-leaf, but you can use Warrior's extended shackles. I know that you are a student, so money is a factor, but if you can swing it, I would get some Old Man Emu 2" lifted springs for the back. They will give you a much better ride and are great for off roading. I have used these before and can attest to how good they are. I only wish they made 4" lifted springs.

question for Ray

I've read about the OME 2" springs before, but haven't really read any pros and cons for them. Will they just bolt up? Will they sag over time?
I was thinking of having my springs re-arched to correct butt sag, and then having an extra leaf added to match the exact height I'll get out of the torsion twist. This would all be done at a suspension shop. Which would be the better way to go in your opinion?

John Stanley,
The OME 2" lifted springs are great. They are very well made and I don't think they will sag over time much if any. I can tell you that you will get a much better ride than the stock springs. They are not cheap, but IMHO worth the cost, and I don't think you will ever have to change them, or rearch them. They will just bolt right on just like the old ones. Which way to go, well if you can afford them, get them. I used them in moab and they worked flalessly. In fact Tom Wilk who also was at Moab last year was impressed enough to buy a set himself, and so far he's has had no problems with them at all. The only con I can think of is the price, other than that, I can't think of anything bad to say about them. Hope this helps.

One other thing to say. I call my son Jordan monkey boy all the time. How did you get the name. We were watching Buckaroo Bonzi and doctor Lizardo said "I'll get you monkey boy" in the movie, I turned around to my son and told him the same thing and that's how he got his name.

Get the WP Shackles #WAR-153 from Desert Rat. You can only get about 1.5" from the front anyway with your bars and the shackles will give you 1.5" in the back. I don't recommend going higher than 1.5" with the torsion bars. The more you twist, the less down travel you will get and this will really give you and your truck an unwanted beating.

I have used the add-a-leafs and they take about 2hrs per side to install. My Sport happens to have the multi leaf pack and I wasn't impressed by the add-a-leaf. That is just my opinion anyway. I don't really like the shackles either, but they work for now.

how I got the name...

I've had the name since I was in 7th grade. (6 years now) My friend at the time called me Monkey Boy one day while riding the school bus home. We used to make faces on the windows and he said I looked like a monkey when I did it. He started calling me Monkey Boy every day and after a while everyone else on the bus started calling me that. By the time I got to high school, everyone I knew called me Monkey Boy or just Monkey. I was even introduced to new people as Monkey, so lots of my friends didn't know my real name for a while because no one ever called me by it. By the time I graduated more people knew me as Monkey than those who knew me as John.

Re: how I got the name...

Originally posted by yob_yeknom
I've had the name since I was in 7th grade. (6 years now) My friend at the time called me Monkey Boy one day while riding the school bus home. We used to make faces on the windows and he said I looked like a monkey when I did it. He started calling me Monkey Boy every day and after a while everyone else on the bus started calling me that. By the time I got to high school, everyone I knew called me Monkey Boy or just Monkey. I was even introduced to new people as Monkey, so lots of my friends didn't know my real name for a while because no one ever called me by it. By the time I graduated more people knew me as Monkey than those who knew me as John.

So if you get the EMU 2inch spring, and put the shackles would that give you a about a 3.5 inch lift then?
Or is it better just to do either or? Also, is it possible to switch out the monoleaf with the patch and add an adleaf? Which is cheaper and better the EMU's or patch and addleaf? Oh wait, then wat happens to the front?

Is this right?

I just talked to a guy at summitracing about an add-a-leaf for my 95 EB. He told me it is part number HEL-815 and is called a "Helper Spring Kit" and costs $76 total, plus tax. Will that work to get me 1.5" to 2" inches of lift? Has anyone here used it?

The reason I want an add-a-leaf is because want to stiffen up the rear. I do a lot of towing and want to avoid the sagging.

Hey Michigander

If you do searches here you will find a ton of info on Explorer Saggy Ass Syndrome. The long and the short of it is if you like the springiness of your rear, and need lift only, add Warrior's shackles. If it needs firming up, as well as lift, add leafs.

Summit has 3 levels of Explorer brand (no relation) add a leafs, for like $26 bucks a pair, so you can't go wrong. My ass was down about an inch, and bouncing around like crazy, even with new Edelbrock shocks.

I went with the lowest level. It brought it up almost 2 inches, but quickly settled down to an inch so it is even with the stock front. The ride is now fine, not firm at all, a little on the soft side even.

If you want more height, I would get one of the higher levels. You will have to remove the rear shackles to do the job anyway, so if you want even more height you could add the longer shackles. I personally never liked the looks of shackles, but I'm nuts

Thanks for the advice... I think I'll order those when the weather gets a little warmer.

Is there anywhere that has a how-to write-up for it or did it come with descent instructions? I would probably be doing this with one or two friends, or should I just take it to a shop?

Sooooooooo??

I have read all the replies,but with me not having very much experience with this it all gets a little confusing. What would be the easiest and most cost efficient way to get the necessary lift in the rear of my 1996 Explorer Sport(mono-leaf). Tips appreciated.

Re: Sooooooooo??

Originally posted by SC4x4Sport'96
I have read all the replies,but with me not having very much experience with this it all gets a little confusing. What would be the easiest and most cost efficient way to get the necessary lift in the rear of my 1996 Explorer Sport(mono-leaf). Tips appreciated.

The Warrior Shackles

Get the shackles, the add-a-leaf is a waste of money.

What goin' on? I posted a couple weeks ago about add-a-leaf on a mono leaf . My local shop sold them to me and then 2 or so weeks later told me I should take them off because it would weaken the stock leaf .. Wa La ........ When I first installed em' it gave me 2" of lift now I'm back down to 1" and gettin' worse..... in other words , Add-a-leaf 's don't work on mono-leafs.... What I'm doing next is installing leaf packs off of a 98' 4-door XLT and if I still need more lift , I'll then do the add-a-leaf to those. Hope this helps ...

How much $?

I'd love to get the OME 2" springs. About what will the pair cost? Is replacing the stock shocks necessary, or just a good idea to improve performance? I want them to (a) add 2" to rear, (b) get rid of the X butt sag, and (c) get rid of the pretty bad side-to-side shaking the X does every time I back out of my driveway!

Thanks!

OME springs are about $400 a pair and I would go with some new shocks too.

Warrior Shackles

Was wondering where the best place to buy the warrior shackles, and maybe a website
that the are found at?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shackles

Thanks 2001ExpSport,
but am I suppose to look at the Velvet ride spring series. If not where?
Will they give me the lift I want.
Thanks

Back