Torsion/Coilover Conversion | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion/Coilover Conversion

2 things...

1) I would rethink the way you attached the lower end of the limit strap. Especially with that 1" (approx) spacer you have between the tab and the arm. It may hold up like that, but I can see something bending or breaking in a high-tension situation. Weld a vertical tab onto the lower arm for the limit strap.

2) What's the extended and collapsed length of those shocks, from eye to eye? Just curious because those look way shorter than the 12" shocks i'm used to seeing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 things...

1) I would rethink the way you attached the lower end of the limit strap. Especially with that 1" (approx) spacer you have between the tab and the arm. It may hold up like that, but I can see something bending or breaking in a high-tension situation. Weld a vertical tab onto the lower arm for the limit strap.

2) What's the extended and collapsed length of those shocks, from eye to eye? Just curious because those look way shorter than the 12" shocks i'm used to seeing.

Well the straps were a budget build and some day I will get some tabs for them. I have a large fender washer on the underside of the LCA for more support.

These 12" shocks have an extended length of 17.000" (more than I need) and a collapsed length of 11.630"

If you look back a bit in this thread you will find the links I have posted to the shocks with all the info on them. :thumbsup:

Edit: The confusion on size might be that these are the proper size to mate a 12" coil to them. So calling them 12" might not be technically correct. But with a collapsed rate of almost 11.5", saying they are 12" might not be wrong either....lol

You really want to weld (or bolt) tabs on your lower A-arm for the lower limiting strap mount sooner rather than later.

A couple of good yanks on the strap, and those bolts will snap. The spacers will act like lever arms and stress the bolts.

I really want the adjustable clevis type strap mounts for the LCA. They are about $20-$25/pc. I'm tapped out at the moment, from all this. The reason I did it this way was I needed to get my droop for the CV axles right off the bat, before I could continue. They are just a temp mount. I promise guys, I will change them out. BTW, those lower strap bolts are actually a 1 pc. They are made to mount the shocks on a 1st gen front lower. I believe they are pretty strong. I really don't see how they could break.

I really like the fact you guys are looking out for me though !!

These type:http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Suspension-Multi-Strap-Clevis-Mount-p-29468.html

Those clevis mounts aren't really needed if you take care to measure, and you're not planning to make anymore suspension changes anytime soon. IMO those are only really needed so that you can adjust the amount of down travel easily instead of cutting off a tab and welding on a new one, or you can weld those one where you have space, and use a shorter limit strap.

I'll just say this now since we're on the subject, it's a good thing you're taking the time to run limit straps at all. Until just recently i never really saw people on here concerned about limiting their down travel to save their shocks or balljoints. It's cheap insurance.

Thanks Matt.

I like those clevis type so that when my strap stretches, I can adjust to take out the slack. Plus I don't have to weld.

Since my shocks have 17" extension, the straps are going to save my CV axles when Wheeling.

I like those PolyPerformance dodads.

Thanks for the link!

All sources for the brackets are gone now from what I've gathered, right? ORW has quit making their kits. Anyone know of any different suppliers?

GB :)

Bringing this up from the dead. What's the story on the brackets? I've done some little searching and I want to do this but no brackets? Looking for someone in the know......Thanks!

There's a guy on Ranger-Forums that is making bracket sets in small runs.

Link

You can skip to the next-to-last page to find final pictures and pricing.

(Yes, I have ordered a set. They have not been delivered yet.)

There's a guy on Ranger-Forums that is making bracket sets in small runs.

Link

You can skip to the next-to-last page to find final pictures and pricing.

(Yes, I have ordered a set. They have not been delivered yet.)
Curious if you ever received yours, and how they are working out.

Curious if you ever received yours, and how they are working out.

Yes, I received mine.

They look to be real nice pieces. I haven't installed them yet, as I am putting a 5.0L in my other truck...

I like this, I think I can fab my own brackets :)

By reading this thread. I looks like you do not have to modify your control arms to do this mod?

Tim

By reading this thread. I looks like you do not have to modify your control arms to do this mod?

Tim

Besides drilling holes to the lower arms, nope. :)

Adding a uniball arm set up works best, but Umm, there pretty pricey. ;)

Bringing this back up since I just received my c/o brackets and it's time to choose the coilover. I made the mistake of not measuring anything stock and trashing it, but do you guys have a good recommendation for a qa1 coilover to where I would be a couple inches lower than stock, but also have the option to go up or down a few inches? Does unscrewing/screwing the sleeve on these give that much adjustment? This is a street rod being built on my 98 chassis by the way. Thanks in advance..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

10" shock is normal size replacement. They adjust a couple of inches either way by compressing or relaxing the spinner nuts, but if you loosen the coil tension a full 2" to drop the control arms, I think it would be way to soft. You might try an 8" shock, and increase the tension some to keep the firmness of the coils. This is just speculation on my part, and you might want to contact a QA1 rep and talk to them about your wanted applications.

Back