• Register Today It's free!

Towing capabilities

Bladestorm

Reaction score
City, State
Circle Pines, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 5.0
Hello, I was wondering if its possible for a "97-"01 4-door 4WD 4.0 SOHC Explorer to tow a car with a trailer, not a dolly. The car weighs about 3,200 lbs.
and if it matters i'd be towing it about 900 miles.

Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a '96 XLT ohv and I tow my boat with it without any problems with a 2in ball on the bumper..... My boat and trailer weighs 3,700 lbs.

but you might want to double check your owners manual...... and make sure you do not exceed the rating of the bumper......(If you are using the bumper)

my owners manual says my OHV 4x4 96 auto is rated at 5,000 pounds. maybe alittle more.

it should not be a problem.

The truck is rated at 5,000, but you'll need a class III. The bumpers are rated at 3,500. Towing 4,000+ for that distance would require a trailer brake controller. I'd also get a tranny cooler, as big a one as you can fit. A temp gauge wouldn't be a bad idea either. The v6 trannies are problematic and prone to failure. They need all the help they can get.

It'll be pushing it for that combination. You'll be very close to the max weight limit for that combo. Rental trailers from U-haul are around 1000 lbs.

Mine did this:

225714.jpg

The boat tipped the scales that day at 4650 lbs. Even though I'm rated to tow 5k, I was less than 50 lbs under the GCWR, and within 50 lbs of the gross axle weight rating (300 lb tongue weight was ~ 7%). And yes, that was on the lovely Firestones. I only had to haul it three miles over flat ground to the launch ramp and it was huffin' and puffin' the whole way. I'd hate to see that engine pulling a 4-door with the same weight behind it. 900 miles is a long way.... I wouldn't do it myself.

-Joe

I have a 98 Sport with the OHV and i have towed my friends 89 mustang on a 3,000lb car trailer on the bumper for about 70 miles several different times. (and yes my bumper is still straight) I know 70 is a lot different that 900 but as long as you dont beat on it and you get a tranny cooler i think you will be fine!

Do not use O/D. You will be tempted to, but as has already been mentioned the tranny is the weak link, and the O/D is what wears out first. Tow it the entire trip with the O/D off.... you may lose a little in gas mileage, but you'll sleep better knowing you didn't stress the tranny and shorten is useful life by tens of thousands of miles.

Obviously all the responeses pertain to the 4.0, but what if I was to get the 5.0?

Back