Towing with a lowered Ex | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with a lowered Ex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am using Ground Force springs (1.6" lower) and 20 in wheels with stock height tires (275/45/20?). The boat is a 27ft Checkmate, I have been towing the boat for the last 2 years without any problems. The Ex didn't sag (from tongue weight) any with the stock springs, so I guess I was wondering if it will sag any with the GF springs?

Well, generally speaking, lowering springs are stiffer for less body roll and handling- from my experience. You will have less suspension travel before bottom out, so should you hit a big bump with the tongue weight it may be more harsh. My biggest concern will be the load capacity of your tires, low profile tires are often not rated for much weight as they trade off daily capability for performance.

As long as your boat isn't too heavy, and you get a proper ball mount for your new stance, it should be fine. If you don't get a new ball mount, your trailer could pitch forward, resulting in more tongue weight and thus more sag.

From my experience with Explorer transmissions, I'd suggest that your suspension is the least of your worries...

All of the Explorer transmissions are based on the old Ford C-3, which was developped for use in the 4 cyl. Pinto. Yes, they have been modified for better reliability, but they are also pulling around an SUV that is 3 times what the Pinto was...

I'd say nothing more than a fishing boat (and by that, I mean aluminum 16 foot with a smallish outboard!). With that, your suspension won't be an issue anyway.

The heaviest item I have towed while being lowered is a utility trailer loaded with logs and brush. I have stock wheels and tires. MountaineerGreen gave good advice. Make sure you have a ball mount that will keep your trailer level and make sure your tires and aftermarket wheels can handle the weight.

Some aftermarket wheel designs have some pretty thin spokes and may not be as strong as a result. Just something to keep in mind if you will be towing a lot of weight.

The tongue weight isn't a problem, I know I need to adjust the ball height so the boat sits level. As far as the wheels and tires are concerned I should be OK, I ran these last summer when I towed it. Yes the tranmission is of some concern, I do have a friend that rebuilds trannys for a living and would fix it for cost if need be. (although it is still under warranty for another 1 1/2 yr). I was mainly worried if the GF springs would hold the weight.

Ur springs should be okay with it lowered I'm pretty sure. Best way to know for sure, hook it up and see for yourself.

As far as these Tranny's, there strong. I towed a 28 foot Marinette boat that weighed roughly 8,000 pounds from Sandusky Ohio to Cleveland with my 02 Mountaineer V-8, roughly 55 miles. Tranny handled it fine. I know I was way over my limite, but the truck did great!

don't listen to anyone that says our Trannys can't handle towing, this is what our trucks are made to do!

Hey I tow between Sandusky and Cleveland myself! I like to boat in th Sandusky bay area!

The 91-94 and 95+ V6 explorer transmissions are pretty weak in my opinion, but the V8 explorer transmissions are pretty tough. I don't personally know much about third gen transmissions, but I would assume the V8 ones would be pretty decent. Maybe get another transmission cooler and a temp gauge so you can monitor what is going on so you don't overheat from pulling a heavy load.

Hey I tow between Sandusky and Cleveland myself! I like to boat in th Sandusky bay area!

I have a boat that docked at Son Rise marina, across from Ceder Point in sandusky Bay. I go up there every single weekend during the summer! Very nice area, just far enough from home for a nice get away every weekend.

I have an Uncle that has a house on the bay, I enjoy going up there whenever possible! I sometimes get a dock for the weekend at Ceder Point!

my grandparents live on sandusky bay, and i go there all the time in the summer to use their boat and fish off thier dock

Back