TPMS Relearning Tool for 2016 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Relearning Tool for 2016 Explorer

XLT16

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Anyone know if the TPMS19 Programming tool is the correct one to use when rotating tires on the '16 Ford Explorer? I have rotated the tires and now need to get the system to relearn where the tires are at.

https://www.amazon.ca/Motorcraft-TP...001FKSNUI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I tried putting it into re-learn mode and then letting air out of the front left tire (where it starts) and the system did not recognize it, I had let out 15 lbs of air and no reaction from system. I had read some threads that suggested this would work. Apparently the relearn tool is the only way to get it done.

Appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I don't have my manual in front of me but I can tell you what my F350 requires which I just rotated my tires.

It required me per the manual to drive for 20 minutes before I put it into relearn mode. Once I put it in relearn mode.. it took about 10 seconds worth of air per tire to let out before it would honk and move on to the next tire.

If I had my manual, I'd go through it but just a suggestion to double check the steps.

So I don't have my manual in front of me but I can tell you what my F350 requires which I just rotated my tires.

It required me per the manual to drive for 20 minutes before I put it into relearn mode. Once I put it in relearn mode.. it took about 10 seconds worth of air per tire to let out before it would honk and move on to the next tire.

If I had my manual, I'd go through it but just a suggestion to double check the steps.
Does the F-350 show individual tire pressures?

Peter

Nope, I have to use Forscan to see the individual pressures.
That is what I believe the issue is with the 2016+ models. In another post he mentioned that the vehicle recognizes the TPMS is there but they are not shown as being in the correct position after doing a rotation. Air down had no effect in correcting that. So while models without the individual readouts seem to automatically recognize the prescence of TPMS, there is no need to show the location of them.
Hence the requirement for the tool.

Peter

It might help, actually. With the vehicle in learn mode, an airdown would trigger the sensors to report to the BCM, the vehicle would then re-associate the location with the sensor phoning home.

That is what I believe the issue is with the 2016+ models. In another post he mentioned that the vehicle recognizes the TPMS is there but they are not shown as being in the correct position after doing a rotation. Air down had no effect in correcting that. So while models without the individual readouts seem to automatically recognize the prescence of TPMS, there is no need to show the location of them.
Hence the requirement for the tool.

Peter

Just because it does nkt show them doesn't mean it doesnt need to relearn. My F350 requires 60psi in the front and 80psi in the rear. When I move front to back and change air pressure, it now sees the back ( now in front) at 60 (instead of 80) and the front (now in the back) at 80 (instead of 60).

So I had to go through the relearn process and had to drive for 20 minutes and then follow the steps.

Again, not sure if the process is diffevent on the Explorer.

I will give it a try, the first time I had not driven the vehicle when I used the tire deflation method. It's been a week so will give it a shot before buying the tool. That time I dropped the air pressure in half while in re-learn mode and the computer never saw it, never got a honk to move on to the next tire. I wrote down which tire is where now and thinking I might not bother re-learning the tires if deflating doesn't work. I will keep that paper in the vehicle, so if I get a low tire it will tell me which tire it thinks is low, I'll just look at where they actually are. I'm in Canada and that TPMS tool runs $75, doesn't seem worth it. That and a tire gauge should do the trick, thanks for the input guys !

I will give it a try, the first time I had not driven the vehicle when I used the tire deflation method. It's been a week so will give it a shot before buying the tool. That time I dropped the air pressure in half while in re-learn mode and the computer never saw it, never got a honk to move on to the next tire. I wrote down which tire is where now and thinking I might not bother re-learning the tires if deflating doesn't work. I will keep that paper in the vehicle, so if I get a low tire it will tell me which tire it thinks is low, I'll just look at where they actually are. I'm in Canada and that TPMS tool runs $75, doesn't seem worth it. That and a tire gauge should do the trick, thanks for the input guys !
I don't know if you use Winter tires or not but when I have my wheels changed, the dealer does the retraining as part of the service. When I had the Winters taken off last time and the OEM wheels put back on they didn't even charge me for that either. I store the wheels at the dealership.

Peter

I don't know if you use Winter tires or not but when I have my wheels changed, the dealer does the retraining as part of the service. When I had the Winters taken off last time and the OEM wheels put back on they didn't even charge me for that either. I store the wheels at the dealership.

Peter
No don't use them , fortunately my Explorer spends it's winter in Florida as does it's owner ;) Going to give the deflate thing one more chance today and see if it works, if not then I am not going to worry about it. I know where each tire is, even if the vehicle doesn't. How could we live without these conveniences with the older models :)

I'm confused (not a new thing with me :D). Why would Ford install a TPMS system that recognize each tires location and not have the ability to reset that feature, automatically when a rotation is done? Seem fairly half azzed. I think I like the simplicity of my system in my '15. Light comes on, tire(s) under inflated, get out, look, note which tire(s) are under inflated, correct under inflated tire(s), done! Indeed, where would we be without the 'nanny' tech?:dunno:

I'm confused (not a new thing with me :D). Why would Ford install a TPMS system that recognize each tires location and not have the ability to reset that feature, automatically when a rotation is done? Seem fairly half azzed. I think I like the simplicity of my system in my '15. Light comes on, tire(s) under inflated, get out, look, note which tire(s) are under inflated, correct under inflated tire(s), done! Indeed, where would we be without the 'nanny' tech?:dunno:
I believe the system recognizes the TPMS code, not the actual location. The code is probably programed for each location initially and entered into the BCM or some other module. When you rotate the tires, the code is still recognized but not the new location. That is why the tool is required. Anyway, that's my theory.
I was quite happy with the original, non tire specific, system. I once had the warning light come on while traveling on the highway on my way to the city but since I didn't notice any change in the vehicle's behaviour I continued on a few miles to my destination. There I got out and like you mentioned, did a 'walk around' to check the tires. Noticed one was a bit lower than the others and jumped back in and drove to the dealer where they found a screw in the tire.

Peter

Success !!! No TPMS tool but now it sees each tire where it actually is after doing the tire rotation. I have a 2016 XLT that provides tire pressure for each individual tire.

I got it to work by going into relearn mode and reducing the air pressure in each tire as the system asked for it, so you don't need the TPMS tool. Had to take about 7-8 lbs of air out of each tire before the horn honked which indicates it recognized that and move to the next indicated tire. Once I did all four tires I just turned the accessory power off and re-inflated the tires to the normal pressure. I did check the system to make sure it was showing the correct tire in the correct location. As I re-inflated each tire the computer was showing that tire in the correct location as the air pressure differed from the others and matched my air gauge reading, proof positive.

Ok so how did I do it. First I tried the on/off method to get it into re-learn mode , press the brakes , turn it on/off 3 times etc..etc.. That method is a pain in the a$$, I did get it into re-learn mode that way but you have to be very good at the sequence. I found you could also get it into re-learn mode by turning the accessories on(press the on button without pressing the brakes to start the engine) and then turning the hazard lights on and off 3 times. When you have done that the horn honks and the re-learn mode shows up on the dash. Much simpler way to activate the re-learn mode with the hazard lights.

Make sure you have the keys in the vehicle and leave them in it when you move from tire to tire re-learning the pressure sensors. The car will see the keys leave if you have them in your pocket and start honking at you.

Once you are in re-learn mode it well tell you to start at the front left tire, let the air out and when it sees that happening the car will honk the horn, then indicate for you to move to the right front tire, let the air out, it honks , move on to the next tire that is indicated on the dashboard display. When you complete the last tire , get the honk then you can just press the dash button to turn the vehicle off and the re-learn is complete. As I mentioned it only took about 7-8 lbs of a pressure decrease for it to recognize the sensor on that tire.

Actually I was a bit surprised that this worked , it may be that last week when I rotated the tires and tried it I had yet to drive it. We drove it for a week and this time it worked. Someone in this thread earlier had mentioned that once rotated you need to put some miles on it before doing the re-learn. Why you would have to drive it first is odd to me but who knows how the computers are set up.

Well, there you go, it didn't make any sense to me that they would have a TPMS system that couldn't be reset by you instead of needing some tool or taking it to the dealer. However, it does sound somewhat of an intricate task to get it reset. Skimming the '16 owners manual, I didn't come across this procedure but, I may not have looked hard enough. Anyway, at least there is a user friendly(?) fix for this. :thumbsup:

I looked thru the manual and found nothing on the re-learn info, everything I found on it was from the internet. Like everything once you have done it once it is really not complicated. I had seen both methods discussed for getting the vehicle in the re-learn mode, the on/off switch vs hazard lights mentioned on the 'net but on older models only in the case of the hazard lights. Fortunately it worked, it is pretty simple using the hazard lights, once you get the dash in re-learn mode it guides you thru each tire. Hope this helps someone else on the newer models as I couldn't find anything in particular to the '16 models. I much prefer doing my own oil changes, tire rotations , etc. , by time you take it to a dealer , the time spent waiting etc. you can do it yourself and know it is done right. I have had dealers screw so many things up in the past I just don't trust them to get much of anything right.

As I am nearing my first tire rotation on my 2016 I will copy and paste your instruction into my Explorer file on my computer for future reference.

I do not know why a manufacture would do something so stupid as setting things up this way. But then this way they get you to almost have to go back to a dealer to get it taken care of unless you can figure out a work around.

Thanks.

My sense is they did it this way to force you back to the dealer for service, they are in the game together. Why hide the re-learn item at all , it could have been added to the menu just like oil life reset function, no doubt Ford figured this would be something the dealer should handle. Glad you found this helpful !

I can get into train mode like you suggested, but the tire was nearly flat and it didnt trigger.

I can get into train mode like you suggested, but the tire was nearly flat and it didnt trigger.
Please add the year and trim level of your Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. That is very useful info to have when members go to respond to any posts.
Thanks.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I mentioned in an earlier post I tried to re-train it right after I rotated the tires and it didn't recognize it when I deflated the tires, like you I let out a lot of air. I had not driven the vehicle since rotating at that point. Then on the advice of someone here I tried it again after driving the vehicle for a week and it worked. He had mentioned to put 20 miles or so on it and then re-train. Why did this work? I have no idea.

Back