• Register Today It's free!

Trac won't start, but cranks

daweasel

Reaction score
City, State
newark, de
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 trac xlt
I took out the crankshaft position sensor and it is chewed up. Got a nasty groove from the pulley. What in the heck would cause this and any help would be great. The new sensor seems like it don't wanna go in there.
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Help if can...

I just removed the crankshaft position sensor and it had a groove chewed into it from the teeth on the pulley. What would have caused it? The new sensor will not fit. truck has been acting funny for some time now know why.

thanx

cranshaft pos. sensor

I just pulled the sensor out of the truck and it has a 3/8 in. groove in it from the pulley. It went into the guts of the sensor. The new sensor seems to not want to go in. I had to dang near pry the old sensor out. Anyone have any experience dealing with these?:thumbsup:

I have never seen this. You may have some major damage on your hands.

I have the same probblem My Truck did not act funny just stoped running. Sounded like it was out of gas. went to the gas station put in gas went to the bank. Truck died again and never started back up. Thisd was about 10 blocks. My son towed it to his garage. where he determined it was the cam shaft sencor. He removed it today and it looks the same as what you described. 3/8 in grove from the pully. Can't get the new sensor in. If you have found an answer please let me know. conwrl@hotmail.com

I just had the supentine belt replaced on my sports track last week do you thonk that may have caused it. Did you have anything similar?

i actually have this prob on my hand right now. the harmonic balancer is coming apart and has eaten in to the cps and is causing erratic ignition. new balancer cost 135 and the sensor was 45 new belt was 30 and about an 1hour to replace. ok maybe 2 or 3 with curse out brakes.

a side note when the cps shorts out it is putting the motor out of timing and causing it to sound like it is running out of fuel.

i dont know if this is the same with STs, but with eclipses many people take out the harmonic balancer totally, and replace it with a kit. Just wondering if anyone here knows if it is possible with the ST.

Harmonic Balancer went bad May 2009, just under 19,000 miles on my 2004 ST! Left my family and I stranded on I-95 in Philadelphia. Ford has sold a lot of replacements but won't issue recall or TSB. The serpentine jumped off the balancer pully and landed on the rubber mount of the balancer then ate through the sensor.

Jan 21, 2010:
Started up the ST, no problem. Drove one block, stopped at stop sign. Made right turn and acceclerated, then the ST died; 22,000 miles. Just before it lost all power in the engine, I heard what sounded like a turbine quickly decelerating. Now I turn the key, hear the starter clicking, and nothing happens with the engine. Towed to FORD dealership.

FORD service dept. rep called me late yesterday and said it may be attributed to poor installation of harmonic balancer, possibly not torqued correctly; sounded like pasing the buck. He needed permission to pull the front of the engine apart to look inside, I gave him a green light to do so.

He just called today and said the "key way and sprocket" are bad. He said they come in a kit with a new timing chain; parts and labor after a freindly discount: $925. The truck is already there and apart, so I gave them the go ahead to fix it. Normal price would have been about $1100. Sucks to be me!

Strange, they have a "repair kit" to fix this partiular issue, but FORD says there is no problem with the engine! Harmonic balancer goes bad, fix it with new and improved one. Then this happens, fix it with new and improved parts from a "repair kit"! There are no known problems with this engine....more BS from FORD!

Time to call FORD customer service I suppose.

good luck

I had to replace my harmonic balancer which I did my self with napa auto parts balancer, saved alot of money but not easy. almost sounds identical to what happened to me. pully came apart from rubber and rubber ate through sensor. That has been a while, now I must say that I do love the truck except now the transmission needs to be rebuilt. So many problems, so little money. I have fixed everything myself until this. I am being told that it will be about 2,000 dollars. Looks like all the money I saved will now go to the truck anyway.

Ford called me today and said now they discovered the #1 and #5 cylinders are bent. They'll need to pull the engine to get a better idea of how much damage there is. Possibly need a rebuild, or remanufactured engine: *22,000* miles! I told them to hold off until they can give me some written estimates.

Does anyone like the idea of "Class Action Lawsuit"? The more research I do on this engine, the more catastrophic failures I discover.

Back