Trailer Brake Controller 2006 V8 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Brake Controller 2006 V8 Limited

I just purchased a used 2006 limited 4x4 with the V8. The car has the trailer towing package including hitch and 7 pin connector. I need to tow a trailer with electric brakes. Does the X have a built in trailer brake controller or do I need to add one. Does it have a plug wired for a controller if it needs one? I have used the search function and can't find any answers. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is wired for one. The plug is underneath the front dash drivers side, near the left of the steering column. I borrowed a controller from a buddy's F-350. It seems that there is a standard plug for Fords. If you got the towing package you should have also gotten the pigtails to hook up a generic trailer brake controller. They have the plastic connector end to hook up under the steering column and can be slpiced/wired into a TBC.

The pigtail for the controler was in the back compartment that holds the jack on mine. I got a Reese POD controler and am very happy with it, very small so it mounts easily within reach below the light controls and can be mounted in any position.

bojans said:
The pigtail for the controler was in the back compartment that holds the jack on mine. I got a Reese POD controler and am very happy with it, very small so it mounts easily within reach below the light controls and can be mounted in any position.

Do you have a pic or a website? The one I borrowed was decent, but I'd like to get my own.

My pigtails were in the glovebox.

I used the pigtail from the ford unit to wire it up with the thought that I would only hookmit up when needed, then I saw how nicely it fit below the light knob and just used some velcro to hold it there. The only thing that would make it better is if it were beige to match the interior.

Why did you get the 'POD' model vs. one of the other Reese controllers? I don't understand the differences to know why or whether yours is adequate vs. the more expensive ones.

Thank you for any edjication. :D

POD is much more compact - reason I got it
POD will only control up to a 2 axel trailer - main difference

Cool - ordered the POD brake controller. Excited about putting it in!

So is it just plug and play with the extra wiring piece I got with my towing package?

Connect the wires per the diagram on the Ford pigtail and the new controller, I soldered mine and plug it in under the dash behind the brake release. I used the 3M velcro adhesive strips to mount the unit just below the light controls. A couple of wire ties to keep the wires out of the way and you are done - 30 minute job.

bojans - thanks. Not being a car wiring guru - here's my take on it:

Code:
PIGTAIL:

blue		trailer brake controller
violet/white	stop light
red		fused brake controller battery feed (+12)
brown		head lamp switch for running lights
black/white	ground

POD:

black		+12
red		stop light
white		ground
blue		trailer brakes

HOOKUP:

Pigtail		POD
blue		blue
violet/white	red
red		black
brown		n/a
black/white	white

Does that seem right?

How do the tail lights on a trailer go on if there's no connection to the controller? Maybe that automatically happens with the tow hitch connector?

Thanks for your help!

I can't comment if that is right or not, I threw out all of the paperwork and I did this months ago. If you just transfered the colors from the Ford sheet to the POD sheet you should be fine.

Your turn signals are already wired through the connector in the rear, this just adds brake controlling.

You say transfer the colors from Ford sheet to POD sheet, but the descriptions of what the respective colors on each side aren't the same... or maybe I misunderstood - you aren't just saying connect like colors!?

I listed the descriptions for both the POD and pigtail above (I double checked and that's what the docs say) and then I listed proposed connections for like descriptions.

One other thing... the pigtail 'ends' have black plastic sleeves on them that are glued onto the wires. Do I just snip the wires below those sleeves, because they don't seem to come off otherwise! I know you said you soldered them, but my soldering leaves lots to be desired so I figured I'd use electrical screw-type connectors.

Now I'm wondering if the black sleeves are actually crimp connectors. Even if so I can't see how to use them!

I so confused... lol :D

Your hookup is correct,

Back