Tranny hesitation problem

Scott 02Eddie

Reaction score
City, State
toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 eddie 4.6
1st post ......

Have a 4.6 02 Eddie. under acceleration but not WOT is often HANGS at around 3500 for a few sconds before upshifting. It does this is various gears. It feels like an electronic signal problem not a mechanical problem.

Has anyone heard of this before and have an idea for a fix? When ever I take it in to Ford it doesn't act up (go figure).

Thanks in advance.

Scott Winger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scott 02Eddie said:
When ever I take it in to Ford it doesn't act up (go figure).

Dealers never fix what they sell. It's a unwritten rule somewhere in their shop! Anyway, kind of hard to say what it is. Glacier may be able to help you out. Have you checked the fluid? What does it look like - what kind of level do you have with it running and in park? By the way, Welcome to the site!

-Drew

Yeah - fluid is fine. I'm almost positive it's a sensor.

My friends Sport trak is doing the same thing he said. I may just have to wait till it gets a little worse.

Thanks

Scott 02Eddie said:
Yeah - fluid is fine. I'm almost positive it's a sensor.

My friends Sport trak is doing the same thing he said. I may just have to wait till it gets a little worse.

Thanks

My 01 Sport does that as well. It's programmed into the chip to hesitate and when you step on the gas to actually up shift instead of down shift. It's supposed to shift smoothly, not like a tank. This is most prominent during the 4th to OD shift. Lets say you are in 4th @ 3500 and you press on the gas a bit, it will shift into OD then shift out again into a higher gear. That is the hesitation that is so slight you don't feel the shifting you just feel the hesitation.

I know it sounds wierd, I can't explain it well enough, but mine does it and been to the dealer. The best way to fix this issue would be to buy an after market chip. You can use the preset limits on the chip or ask the manufacturer to set certain limits for you. OR, you can learn to live with it...LOL :confused:

Matt

Does the AOD have it's own chip or are you just referring to the CPU chip?

Funny thing is that it did NOT do this for the first 2 years. Just started about 8 months ago. If it was a chip issue it would have been there all along wouldn't you think????

Scott 02Eddie said:
Does the AOD have it's own chip or are you just referring to the CPU chip?

Funny thing is that it did NOT do this for the first 2 years. Just started about 8 months ago. If it was a chip issue it would have been there all along wouldn't you think????

Ya it would've. Mine did it since it was new, but we don't have the same tranny. It's possible that a sensor is clogged or mabye some slip discs have worn prematurely....

I meant the CPU chip.

Back