Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Tranny issues?...

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Caleb Teague, February 5, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Caleb Teague

Caleb Teague New Member

City, State:
      Berryton
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
      Stock 94 Explorer XLT,
      It started making a noise at idle in gear. Sort of a Morse Code sound, basically intermittent buzzing/humming.
      What could this be? (It's also always whined in first gear)

Also, I'm going to be pulling a trailer several times a week with a mower on it this summer. Yes, I will be putting a hitch on it, don't want to rip the bumper off... You think I'm gonna tear the tranny to pieces, or is this ok? Trailer won't pass 2000 lbs.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. arco777

arco777 Elite Explorer

1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
      Can you identify where the noise is coming from? Touching a long metal rod to various components and then the other end to your ear can let you hear vibrations and noise at the source. If you can identify where in the transmission the noise is coming from, that could help narrow down the issue.

If you have a manual shift transfer case, it could be worn out shift fork pads allowing the gears to slide and make noise. I had that issue with mine when the pads wore out.

4. Dora 1993

Dora 1993 New Member

City, State:
      Fargo, ND
      1993 Explorer XLT
      The bumper hitch is rated for a lot more than you probably think. A frame mounted one is always better but if you wanna save a few bucks it may not be essential.

Last edited: February 6, 2018
    5. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bemidji, MN
      94 4x4 Sport 88k
      I pull a large JD lawn tractor off my bumper all the time. Unless yours is showing really bad rust, I might give it a shot.

6. Caleb Teague

Caleb Teague New Member

City, State:
      Berryton
      '94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
      Sorry, haven’t gotten on here for a few...
      Havent tried the rod trick yet, will let you know when I do.
      The noise is coming from the front of the tranny, and it’s an auto transfer case.

As for the others, the bumper is kinda pointed at the ground. Like 5 degrees maybe.
      It seems to me like they should have had the hitch on the frame then the bumper as a cover.

I’ve pulled 2500+ on the bumper a few times for camping... just don’t want to bumper tow daily for fear of ripping off the bumper. If that happened, the trailer is gone. Everything the trailer attaches to (yes including chains) is merely the bumper.

7. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bemidji, MN
      94 4x4 Sport 88k
      Yeah, I've had all that rear bumper apart and I'm pretty confident in mine, but your the best judge, obviously. I'm going to assume this is a manual transmission, I don't think you said explicitly, but from the first gear comment, I'm assuming so. Any relationship of noise to clutch operation? And you know what I might do 'just because' is to change the trans fluid.