Trans issues @ -20

bojans

Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
2006 Explorer 4x4 V8

Went to leave our place in the UP yesterday morning, it was about -20 and the car had to sit outside last night. Fired right up and I let it idle while I loaded the gear in - maybe 10 minutes. As I went down the driveway it appeared as thought it wouldn't shift out of 1st. As I pulled out onto the road this was confirmed, stayed in 1st. I ended up driving about 1 mile @ 15mph in first then it finally shifted normally. Any idea what may cause this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does transmission fluid have a freezing point? Maybe you need one of those engine heaters.

Didn't you just have the trans fluid changed and add an aux filter? Did they use the Ford recommended product? Is it properly filled?

Maybe the remote filter lines froze up?

The fluid doesn't circulate in the cooler when it's cold in these transmissions. The semi-synthetic fluid which is normally used in these transmissions has a broader temperature range than standard ATF. Full synthetic has an even broader temperature range. The PCM prevents the gears from changing until it warms up. There is an internal temperature sensor on the harness which monitors the fluid. The PCM does the same thing when it overheats. It's like a built in safety to help prevent transmission damage when everything isn't running at a predetermined temperature threshold. Sensor malfunctions cause it to go into FMEM or "limp" mode.

Shaker,
Haven't had the fluid done yet, shop has the parts, just haven't gotten it in yet.

BrooklynBay,
That makes sense... Thanks

It's been about 0F to 10F here in North East Ohio the past few days and my truck was doing the same thing. Just seems to stay in gear a lot longer then it normally does. I have to let off the gas and then go again and it will evenutally shift.

Back