Transfer case interchangability question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case interchangability question

electronicsguy

Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4.0 4wd
I have a 95 explorer XLT 4.0 electronic 4wd and my transfer case is doing that thing to where it makes a horrible spinning sound when i let off the gas at over 30mph and sometimes i have to put it in 4 low to get reverse to engage without making that noise. A friend offered to sell me a low mileage known good transfer case for $50, he has 2 to choose from, one is a 4405-12 and the other is a 4405-09. Mine is a 4405-07. One of his is out of a 97 and the other is out of a 2000, is there anyone that knows if these will interchange? He has matching driveshafts, wiring etc. for his in case I would need some of that stuff to make it work.
Thanks,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your '95 a Control Trac? Also, check the output flanges, to see if they match. I have a 4405-9 and it has the six-bolt cup flange on the front, and speedometer gear at the rear output. I think that is the only stuff you have to match.

i think its a control trac, it has the automatic 4wd. i havent had my tcase out yet cause my explorer is all i have to drive so im tryin to find out before i get the other tcase cause i have to drive 2 hrs to pick it up
thx
mike

If the 4.0 is like the 5.0, the 2000 will not work. 95 thru 97 the speedo hooked up to the t-case. 99 up to 2001 the t-case has no place to attach the speedo cable. 98 I'm not sure about, but it is easy to see if the case is machined to accept a speedo cable. I have been told the newer ones sense the speed off of the ABS system, but mine is a 96 so I never looked into it past what fits mine.

So are you 100% certain that the problem is indeed the transfer case?

My mechanic seems sure, it did it right after i took it out of 4 low and forgot to put it in neutral first. I tried like hell to properly disengage 4wd after that in case it was partially stuck with no luck. I had only had the explorer 2 days when this happened. He said the tcase had been leaking fluid from the front and was low on fluid, hard telling for how long. I had read somewhere that some of the 95 explorers had a different front connection, some were cv and others were something different that I cant remember, I can get the front driveshaft to go along with whichever tcase I get from my friend if that will make it work, but I dont know. I hate to pull the tcase out and get someone to take me 2 hours away to see if it will work then put the bad one back on if it wont so i have something to drive til i get one. I tried finding a way to access the hollander interchange guide online but it said I have to subscribe to it

You could just get the 4405-09 and use the output shaft out of your 4405-07 (if it is good). It would be a good opportunity to inspect & overhaul the transfer case, you know a seal kit and a shift fork upgrade. You would probably want to check the speedo gear as well, in case the 4405-09 build uses a different color gear. Heck, for $50.00 you could just use those cases for parts, and fix the one you have.

You can use a 4405 t-case from 95-96-97. But that's it.

95-96 uses a 4405-CA, 97 uses a 4405-GA. The only difference between these are the front output for the drive shaft. If you use a 4405-GA, you must use the front shaft that came with it. These cases have the VSS in them, 98+ do not, and those years use the ABS sensor in the rear diff case for the speedometer.

The other option you have is to use a manual 1354 TC (with a VSS) for a direct bolt in, and is actually a strong upgrade as it is a gear driven case, not a clutch driven, like the 4405 is.

awesome! thx so much for the help, ill buy the one from the 97 and get the front driveshaft with it

To piggy back off of this, my tcase is making noises and will a tcase from a fellow 97 5.0 work? Wasn't sure if the tcase was the same between the 4.0 and 5.0? Thanks for any input.

The transmissions behind the 4.0L and 5.0L engines are different (different tailshaft housing patterns) so that a transfer case from a 4.0L will not bolt up to the 5.0L, and visa versa.

The transmissions behind the 4.0L and 5.0L engines are different (different tailshaft housing patterns) so that a transfer case from a 4.0L will not bolt up to the 5.0L, and visa versa.

But it's the same for the 4.0 SOHC and 4.0 OHV?

Sweet, thanks for the link.

Back