transfer case neutral tow position | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transfer case neutral tow position

scoop

Reaction score
City, State
lake elsinore, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt 4x4 200k miles
Anyone have insight on how to enable the Neutral Tow position on the B/W 4405 Electric tranfer case? My local Ford dealer said they couldn't do it to my 95 4x4 Exporer even though it is listed in my owners manual as well as the shop manual.

Yes they can. Take it to a shop that knows what they are doing. It cost about $50 bucks to hook up a button to your T-case that moves the motor to the correct position, which is right inbetween the Hi and Lo positions. I suppose you could unhook the shift motor, move the shifter to the neutral position, move the motor to where the neutral position is and bolt it back on. It should stay there until you turn the ignition switch back on. It should go back to the Hi position, if not take it back off move the shifter back to the hi position and the motor to the same position and it should work. Sorry I don't know where they connect the button. Hope this helps.
Oh and welcome to the site. :)

P.S. I am assuming that you are going to tow your truck somewhere and that is why you want to put it into neutral, because in the neutral position neither drive line will be powered.

Thanks for the input Ray.
Yes, I do want to be able to easily tow my Explorer. Do you know of a shop in SoCal you'd recommend?

Scoop,
No I don't know places in S.C., I'm just outside of the Bay Area. Maybe Colin (Fenderguy) Ignascio or one of the other South Cali guys could help.

Back