and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transfer Case Output Shaft Oil Seal Leak - Remove and replace

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by esclamada, April 23, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. esclamada

esclamada Active Member

City, State:
      KCMO
      Year and Model:
      '02 Mountaineer AWD V8
      Last fall I noticed that my transfer case is leaking oil, it's not that bad since it doesn't drip. I noticed that the area above the flange and U-Joint has lots of splatter and decided that this is a good spring project. I just did a flush and fill on my TC and rear diffs.

There was a time that I suspected that it might not be just the seal alone, maybe the rtv sealant was also leaking. So I run some test to verify what's leaking. I put duct tape on the seal halves and let it run for a week. The duct tape was clean, no leaks. So it's just the oil seal.

I also have the car inspected at a ford dealership telling them that the TC is leaking, they want to re-seal the whole thing for $750, if they found out other issues it will go up even more.

So I decided to just do the re-sealing my self (not the whole thing) At first I gave up because the driveshaft bolts will not let loose. So wrapped everything up and do more research and do it the next weekend.

Got a new seal and it's not leaking anymore. Hopefully I did it right and won't leak again..

Here's my pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.144114852323341.31615.110528882348605

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.