Solved - Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Help While Driving Home No Forward/rev At All Now!!

94 ford explorer xlt upon acceleration goes to about 5000-5500 rpm -slight slip and then if i lift off gas trans shifts about 2800. Do the bands need adjusting- great post with pic btw- or is it the valve body, sensor -something else.
My husband is a diesel mechanic, jack of all trades- master of none, you know :)
He replaced the vacuum modulator but that didn't really help.
Thanks for your time and any advice you can give us on what it might be. Your posts and pics are wonderful.thanks for all you do

GLACIER991 OR BROOKLYNBAY I NEED YOU !!!!
Ran to store after work- transmission not any worse. Left store to go 1 mile to house and after very slow movement out of pkg lot - nothing. Doesnt shift into reverse or any forward gears!!!
Could this still be valve body or torque converter??? please help with any thoughts. trans fluid / filter changed dec 2005 (best guess from man purchased from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check to make sure you have enough oil in the transmission. I had similar experience when my level was way low.

Here is my response to your previous email which I've already sent in an email: I would recommend rebuilding the valve body first. Get a 0 - 300 PSI pressure gauge, and compare all of your readings before, and after the rebuild. Check # 10 in my list of useful threads for more information on using a transmission pressure gauge.

quick question: in the ATSG book it makes a reference to a "Front Band" and an "Intermediate Band" no mention of an "Overdrive Band." Would the front band be the one closest to the bell housing that gets backed off two turns? Also, if you take the adjusting screw all the way out to clean it and tap the hole out (in order to get the proper torque,) would you be able to reattach it to the band with the transmission still in the car? (In other words, no extra work with the valve body already out.) Thanks.

I would recommend not taking it out completely while the transmission is still in the vehicle. The apply struts could fall into the pan. The overdrive band is the first band which is closest to the bellhousing. The intermediate band is the next one which is in the middle (intermediate) area. The rear has a non adjustable low/reverse band, and servo. That servo is on the bottom of the transmission underneath a cover with 4 bolts. The transmission pan has to be removed in order to get to it.

roger that. thanks for the prompt responses. i'm still amazed by this thing...

Maybe im a newbie in adjusting a4ld tranny but what is the size of the boxe that i must use for the adjusting stud?

ok thx ..i did not even know that 8 points socket existed :p

A4LD:
All Intermediate bands are single wrap. Single wrap band = 2.0 turns back.

1990-1992 Overdrive bands are double wrap, except in mid 1992, which went back to the single wrap band. Double wrap band = 3.5 turns back.

4R44E/4R55E 5R44E/5R55E:
Single wrap bands.
Overdrive band = 2.0 turns back.
Intermediate band (1995-1998) = 2.5 turns back. All other years 2.0 turns back.

The procedure for adjusting the bands is as follows:
Loosen the nut on the adjusting stud while holding the stud in place. Set your torque wrench to 10 ft.-lbs. (120 in.-lbs.), and tighten the stud. When it reaches 10 ft.-lbs. refer to the above specifications to set the proper amount of turns back. Hold the stud in place, and lock the nut to 35-45 ft.-lbs.

So are these the two bolts to adjust? Is the one closer to the front (greasy one) the overdrive band? 95XLT

trannybands.jpg

Yep. That's them.

Thanks, but now I have a slight problem. See that black rod across the top. Well it wont let me get my torque wrench in there. Does anyone know what that is and how to detach it? Or should I practice to see what 120inlbs feels like?

Is it just a press fit?

Hi, I want to adjust the bands on my ranger's 5r55e but I am having trouble finding an 8 point socket. I could not find them at sears or the home depot. I am just wondering if anyone knows what stores carry them. I plan on checking autozone and pepboys next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I was also looking for one recently. The man in the store said that they are not sold anymore, but you could use a 12 point socket. There is a spline socket set from SK tools which could also work on a square head.

Back