Solved - Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to adjust the bands and see where that gets me. Do I need to get new lock nuts or can I reuse the old ones?

Thanks,
Mark

Hello my name is Ryan, and I'm new on here. I have a question about my transmission. I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 2wd 4.0L and the trans has been slipping in high gear. When I get up to around 55 60 it will kick a few times and then all the sudden go. I noticed it does it when I'm going 65 and hit the gas kind of hard like I'm going to pass someone same thing it will kick and then take off. The same happens on a hill when I'm going 55 60 and when it goes to kick into 4th out of OD it slips. I'm pretty sure my bands need to be tighten, but I would like to be sure.

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain step by step to me how to do this. I am pretty sure I got it, but need to make sure. It seems simple enough, but one mistake could really cause a problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ryan

Okay thanks for the reply I just wanted to make sure it was the same for all different years of trans.

Thanks.

Should the lock nuts be changed every time you loosen them up? It looks like a teflon seal, and those don't always do so well with being reused.

Also, is band tightening the kind of thing that the average joe might wish he had never gotten into? Or is it a nice, simple can't-miss situation? Great thread!

It's not that hard, but on my '03 explorer it was a pain to get to the bolts and they were rusted. I had to spray them good then work them a bit to get them to where they would turn easily. New locknuts are probably a good idea since they are so cheap. There is a really good step by step instruction on here that shows you how to do it. Good luck.

Mark

What was stuck, the locknuts or the studs? I want to count the turns on the studs, to see how much wear there is on the bands, so hoping not to have to work them in and out.

great thread, my symptoms are as follows.... tranny rebuilt 12,000 miles ago, it has done this since i got it back. hard 1 to 2 shift possibly 2 to 3 as well, but a smooth shift at the end. could a band be causing this problem, and would i need to pull the tranny to get to the adjuster bolts or is it possible with the tranny installed. i have checked the tps cleaned MAF and checked u-joints to im trying to eliminate one thing at a time. thanks in advance

94 Ranger - type tranny?

Where does someone look to find the transmission type? Does it need to be on lift? I have 1994 Ranger Splash 3.0 - 4 Wheel Drive, 3 speed auto/OD - slipping in low and reverse after changing Torque Converter. Had no problems until then.
Thank you... If I can save truck by adjusting bands - That would be great!

Jay

After several DTC's I tried to adjust the bands on my 4R55E today.
The OD band went fine, but when trying do adjust the intermediate band, the bolt just disappears inwards without any resistance.
I had the bolt out to clean the threads, can anything have got out of it's place because of that, or can I assume that the band is totally worn out ?

I will have to drop the pan, seems like removing the bolt completely was a bad idea, and the "part" in the red circle has moved out of it's place. :(

bandadjustment.jpg

If my 5R55E (w/60K miles, last flush at 55K, dealership rebuild at 28K) is slipping discretely and intermittently in 2-3 at 2300 rpms, does this sound more like a VB rebuild is in order, or just band adjustment?

Just to reiterate; dropping the pan is unnecessary in order to adjust the band? (I have an 04, 2WD, Sport Trac).

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks again, Brooklyn'. Pardon my ignorance, but this leaking servo piston...is it fixed by adjusting the bands? If it's not related, what do I need to look for visually?

Back