Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB

Mine did it but had nothing to do with the tsb. Mine was doing it in the 30-50mph when you let off to coast to a light then stepped on the gas because the light turned green. It would slam in gear very hard.. as if you just dropped your tranny on the ground.

The dealer reset the tranny and did a relearn procedure (requires them to go out on the road and follow a series of steps). It has been over 20,000 miles and haven't had it happen again.

I figured you were having my issue and not the 0-5mph tsb since you said coasting.

At the risk of jinxing myself, I'll say that I had a similar experience to blwnsmoke. My issue mysteriously went away after a regular maintenance trip my dealership back last fall. They didn't say they reset anything, but it went away so I'm glad it's gone. Now I wish my dealership could just make my vehicles vibrations go away too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I am having this issue that has been bothering me. I figured out that it happens mostly on cold days. That is, the transmission bump. During the summer, everything is fine. When it hits winter, everything gets worse and my transmission kicks into gear like a donkey after coasting.

Does anyone still have the transmission bump? I suspect it only happens around wintertime. I never had the TSB done so I think I probably do need to get it done. Doesn't happen all the time, just winter.

Hi 1995E,

As the others have suggested, I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so that they can get to the bottom of this for you. I can also assist by getting your case escalated to your regional customer service manager; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll do the rest!

Crystal

stop & go transmission clunking

has anyone else noticed their transmission is very clunky during stop and go traffic. If I accelerate let of the gas and then get back on the gas maybe 50% of the time the transmission is very very clunky. I am not eligible for the TSB for the harsh transmission bump.

I only noticed that with the 5 speed transmissions in my 2006, 2008, and 2010. They never could fix them. The 6 speed in the 2014 is much smoother by comparison. So having driven the older 5-speed, I would say this 6 speed is smooth.

The transmission is pretty crude, with sloppy programming. Drive an 8 speed Aisin or ZF. Huge difference. Sad.

It is pretty harsh in the shifts. I personally like it that way though. Makes me know I'm driving a 6 speed and not a CVT.

You folks obviously didn't drive the previous generation 5 speed. That had to be the worst transmission I have ever driven! This one isn't the greatest in the world, but it's light years better than the old 5 speed!

has anyone else noticed their transmission is very clunky during stop and go traffic. If I accelerate let of the gas and then get back on the gas maybe 50% of the time the transmission is very very clunky. I am not eligible for the TSB for the harsh transmission bump.

Did you have your dealership inspect, foxtemple? How many miles are on your Explorer? I'll check out some ways to help.

Crystal

i think if you pull the battery cable for (?) time the tranmission will re-learn the drivers "habits" I think its called adaptive tramission learning.

Mine did the clunk if I let off at 30+mph and let it coast to 18-20mph and then stepped on it.

Tsb was performed a couple months ago and hasn't happened since.

I'm dealing with this too!

I'm dealing with this same issue, among a few others from day one. I have gone back and forth with my FORD dealer to no resolve, only excuses. I escalated this issue, but have been sadly forced due to circumstance to continue driving through it with fear and regret. It’s just that getting the Explorer, currently our only vehicle, to the dealer is difficult to schedule when they take 1-3 days to issue a rental which is obviously requirement for me to get to work etc.

Anyhow, I experience a hard clunk (stutter/shake/bump) when I hit the 20mph mark (exactly) decelerating. I was able to recreate the issue multiple dealer outings on drives with dealer reps, but still haven’t gotten it resolved let alone had a mechanic there actually recreate it or figure it out. Additionally, the car started jumping forward around the same speed limit with accelerating.

Now on top of this, I have to deal with what appears to be a front shocks/struts and steering issue. It’s going to be a doozy. I hope my extended warranty is as good as I expect it to be to cover these ongoing grievances. Because if not, it looks like my wife will have been right and a Toyota Highlander or Hyundai Sante Fe is replacing our 2011 Explorer XLT.

P.s. If any CSM can reach out to me again to begin this process, I would greatly appreciate it.

Need info please.

Mine did the clunk if I let off at 30+mph and let it coast to 18-20mph and then stepped on it.

Tsb was performed a couple months ago and hasn't happened since.

What TSB was it?

I'm dealing with this same issue, among a few others from day one...

Hi Johnny Neat,

When was the last time your dealership checked this out for you? What's the current mileage on the Explorer? I'll research some ways to assist.

Crystal

What TSB was it?

11-12-10 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011
TSB 11-12-10
12/22/11
6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH
ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH)
FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON
TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR
BEFORE 4/15/2011

-----

Although mine wasn't 0-5mph, this solved the problem. It was happening several times a week and it was the same thing every time.. coast down to about 18-20mph and step on it and it seemed like the vehicle didn't know what gear it should be in (most likely a shift point range) and it slammed into gear. The TSB notes a 2-3 shift flare which describes what was happening.

100% fixed after this was done.

Hi Johnny Neat,

When was the last time your dealership checked this out for you? What's the current mileage on the Explorer? I'll research some ways to assist.

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

I honestly cannot give you an exact date, but it's been a while. I'd guess late last year. Dealership gave me the run around with excuses and it became pretty much impossible till now to get the vehicle over to a dealer. Doesn't help I have additional issues & it's my only vehicle.

My miles are 48464.2

I have an appointment with another dealer Monday morning with AutoNation Ford in Miami. They are going to look at my stuttering transmission, shaky front shocks/struts, and squeaky brakes. It's going to be a doozy.

Anyhow, any help you can give to my case would be appreciated. Escalating this might help to avoid any repeating issues/obstacles with the new dealer.

11-12-10 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011
TSB 11-12-10
12/22/11
6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH
ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH)
FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON
TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR
BEFORE 4/15/2011

-----

Although mine wasn't 0-5mph, this solved the problem. It was happening several times a week and it was the same thing every time.. coast down to about 18-20mph and step on it and it seemed like the vehicle didn't know what gear it should be in (most likely a shift point range) and it slammed into gear. The TSB notes a 2-3 shift flare which describes what was happening.

100% fixed after this was done.

Thank you! I hope this is taken care of, because my wife isn't having it. If my issues can't be resolved a Toyota Highlander might be in my future. : (

...I have an appointment with another dealer Monday morning with AutoNation Ford in Miami. They are going to look at my stuttering transmission, shaky front shocks/struts, and squeaky brakes. It's going to be a doozy...

Shoot a PM my way, Johnny Neat; I'll escalate this up to your regional customer service manager. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Shoot a PM my way, Johnny Neat; I'll escalate this up to your regional customer service manager. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Done! Fingers crossed. I want my original driving experience back!

Done! Fingers crossed. I want my original driving experience back!

So I posted the wrong TSB. Just swung by my dealer to get my W/O for you. Here is what it says:

Diag trans clunk, perform TSB 13-3-18.

----------

The TSB is described as:

TSB 13-3-18 sluggish acceleration followed by a harsh bump or slip

TSB 13-3-18
03/26/13
3.5L TI-VCT OR 3.7L ENGINE - 6F50 OR 6F55
TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM
A ROLLING STOP - FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP
OR SLIP
FORD:
2011-2012 Edge, Explorer
LINCOLN:
2011-2012 MKX
ISSUE
Some 2011-2012 Explorer, Edge and MKX vehicles equipped with 3.5L Ti-VCT or 3.7L engine and 6F50 or 6F55 transmission may exhibit sluggish acceleration from a rolling stop, followed by a harsh bump or slip.
ACTION
Reprogram the#powertrain#control#module#(PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 83.05 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.

---------

I will point out that it says 2011 and 2012 Explorers so yours should fall under this. This was not released until 2012 or 2013 and covers all previous ones built

This was done on 8/29 and not a single issue since the reflash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if this TSB would be covered under the power train warranty or is it just the bumper to bumper warranty.

So I posted the wrong TSB. Just swung by my dealer to get my W/O for you. Here is what it says:

Diag trans clunk, perform TSB 13-3-18.

----------

The TSB is described as:

TSB 13-3-18 sluggish acceleration followed by a harsh bump or slip

TSB 13-3-18
03/26/13
3.5L TI-VCT OR 3.7L ENGINE - 6F50 OR 6F55
TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM
A ROLLING STOP - FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP
OR SLIP
FORD:
2011-2012 Edge, Explorer
LINCOLN:
2011-2012 MKX
ISSUE
Some 2011-2012 Explorer, Edge and MKX vehicles equipped with 3.5L Ti-VCT or 3.7L engine and 6F50 or 6F55 transmission may exhibit sluggish acceleration from a rolling stop, followed by a harsh bump or slip.
ACTION
Reprogram the#powertrain#control#module#(PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 83.05 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.

---------

I will point out that it says 2011 and 2012 Explorers so yours should fall under this. This was not released until 2012 or 2013 and covers all previous ones built

This was done on 8/29 and not a single issue since the reflash.

Back