• Register Today It's free!

Transmission dipstick?

schmidlkofer

Reaction score
City, State
thornton, colorado.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
where is the transmission fluid dipstick in a 1994 explorer with the 4.0 motor? i cannot seem to find it and my check engine light only comes on when i shift any ideas. usually if i get into first gear it comes on....thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Driver's side of the engine between valve cover and wheel well. It's a black t shaped handle that says "engine oil"

*edit*There is a difference between engine oil and transmission fluid dip sticks!

if you have a manual then there isnt a dipstick. if an auto then it is behind the distributer

well how do you check the transmission fluid.? i know how to check clutch flid but not transmission.

Please do not double post...

As for checking the fluid level in a manual tranny, you have to crawl under the vehicle and take the fill plug out of the side of the transmission. The tranny is correctly filled when the fluid is even with the bottom of the fill hole.

yeah sorry about that i acciidently typed oil dip stick on the first one but anyways thanks.

why dont they have dipsticks? its just kinda strange. and well not pratical some what...but oh well i checked it today and some of it started to come out...good or bad and it looked clean .

so.... im pretty unsure about this whole transmission thing i think i need to get my codes read because when i shift into 2nd is when my check engine light comes on. the vehicle seems normal buttt i guess ill get it checked out what do you think?

Back