and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission failure (leaking fluid around bellhousing)

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by jclaudii, October 30, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jclaudii

jclaudii New Member

99 explorer 4x4 with 4.0 sohc 200+ thousand miles

Transmission stopped working with my mother-in-law and she pulled over. She said there was a ton of fluid behind her on the road and also at the pull over spot. I put three quarts in it and it only made it about a mile or so before it started pouring out between the engine and the transmission hitting the exhaust and catalytic converter on it's way to the ground.

What could it be, we plan on fixing it ourselves, or at least a majority of it. Could it be something as simple as a seal? Any thoughts or ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jclaudii

jclaudii New Member

we'll I hope not everyone speaks up at once....Perhaps no one else has had their tranny's leaking their life fluid all over the place. Any ideas?

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    5. holter95

holter95 Active Member

City, State:
      MPLS, MN
      Year and Model:
      '01 Mountie V8 AWD
      My understanding is the bellhousing is supposed to be dry in the 5R55E. If you're leaking from there, you've got big troubles. If you already have had driveability problems, the trans is probably toast.

Get it to your local tranny repair shop immediately. You're likely in for a rebuild. ~$1500-1600 is the norm. Sorry for the bad news, but at 200K miles the 5R55E is on borrowed time.

6. jclaudii

jclaudii New Member

Well the mnl got a mini-van as her replacement vehicle, but she would like this one still fixed up as an extra for the family if we need it. Plus it's 4x4 in case the weather gets bad.

In anycase, I have not had a chance to lift the vehicle up some and pull the transmission. Once I do I bet I can get a better understanding of what happened. I saw that there are several people that have rebuilt their transmission and added a shift kit, I plan on doing the same. After all, how hard could it be? Thanks for any help/info on how to do this and where to get a repair manual for the transmission.

7. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    8. jclaudii

jclaudii New Member

She got a 2001 honda odyssey. Not a bad little ride with lots of room and the dealer she got it from will fix anything for a $100 deductable for the next 3 years.

Anyway, I still have not had a chance to drop this tranny yet and see if it's an easy fix or not. I figure I'll start by removing the bell housing shield and looking to see if I can see where the fluid is coming from.

I figure if I have to remove the transmission, I might as well remove the engine and fix the timing chain noise since it sounds like a diesel.

If you guys run accross or have bookmarked any great sites or build-up, or rebuild how too's please pm them to me or pass them along so I can get ready to rebuild this bad boy this winter hopefully.

9. jclaudii

jclaudii New Member

We got the transmission out and found the pump seal to be in good shape. We went ahead and replaced it, checked the bolts around the housing and we are in the process to put it back in. We'll finish the top bolts in the morning. Then were going to drop the pan inspect the valve body and replace the filter. Only thing we can think of is a leaky valve body causing excess case pressure or something. Also, we did find the vent line to be clogged to the transmission. It is now open.

What do we need to check after pan is off tomorrow?

thanks!

10. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    11. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
      VA
      Year and Model:
      2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
      Fire

Mine caught fire when this happened...the scanner says it has something to do with Torque Converter Clutch System stuck off. It caused the transmission to overheat when it slipped, and blew a couple of quarts onto the exhaust system. Just like you described, an oil slick on the street. I have been told the front seal cannot hold the pressure of the overheated fluid, and it blows right past. I am going to pull it down in a few days, to inspect it so I can get the parts on order for a rebuild.