Transmission fluid leaking between motor and trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid leaking between motor and trans

giant32oz

Reaction score
City, State
sikeston,missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I had just came from Walmart this past summer when my transmission wasnt shifting at all. I stopped and checked the fluid and it was almost dry. So i made an emergency stop at autozone and I ended up dumping 3 quarts of trans fluid in and it all spilled out through the gap between the engine and the transmission, I mean it was just gushing out like a water hose. I took it to the shop and the guy said that Fords just to that when hot and didnt do anything but add fluid! it ran fine with only a slight leak afterwards and it hasnt done that since. I just took it to a local tranny shop to get it inspected and they said it was some kind of modulator that needs to be replaced, and a sender or sensor, I couldnt really understand. They said it would be around $200 to fix. Has anyone else experienced this? How can transmission fluid running out of the bottom of my truck be normal?!

Originally posted by giant32oz
I took it to the shop and the guy said that Fords just to that when hot
Sorry I can't help with your question, but you should never go back to that shop again. I have never heard such a stupid, generalized diagnosis in all my life.

So why is it getting hot?

The only likely seal at the front of the transmision is the pump seal between the torque converter and the transmission. It is true on some occasions they will reseal and vacuum modulators do leak internally. Have you noticed your oil level going up or you haven't had to add any recently? I suggest that you pull off the vacuum hose that looks like it goes to the transmission and check for the presence of fluid. This vacuum tree is on the drivers side of the manifold close to the firewall. The vacuum modulator is about $12 and some have posted here that it is easiest to get to from a plate under the carpet. Do a search. Believe you have some leak that caused the level to drop prior to the front seal leak. Low fluid pressure probaly caused excess slipping and overheating. Has the filter ever been changed? This might be a good time to do it and get more of that burnt fluid out. If the seal finally fails, the transmission will have to come out.

Back