1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission Flush

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Radeon, February 1, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Radeon

Radeon New Member

City, State:
      Rust Belt
      Year and Model:
      02 Explorer XLT V6 E
      02 Explorers going in for pcm update.Im thinking about a transmission fluid and or filter change.Had a flush at 34k now at 64k.Is it time for a flush or a filter change?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT
      I would at least do the fluid and filter change.

4. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
      What does the owner's manual say? Have you been towing or anything?

5. Radeon

Radeon New Member

City, State:
      Rust Belt
      Year and Model:
      02 Explorer XLT V6 E
      Why would i trust the manual?When this was built ford was saying maintenance free for 100k+ and we all know different.

Any how dealer did tranny filter(no flush),gasket,drain plug,6 qts merc5,rotate tires,26? point check and a pcm update.$244 + the goverments strongarm.

For once i dont feel like i took it up the rear from a dealer.

Thanks for respones.

6. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      Year and Model:
      Dunno man, don't trust the manual then. It does have suggestions for transmission maintenance intervals. I think usually people don't adhere to them. Do whatever you want to.

Rock on!

7. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT
      I do, and have done, a filter change every 30k-40k miles on every vehicle we have owned. In that time there has been just one transmission failure and it was a Mountaineer I bought with 112k miles on it. The rest were either new or low mileage vehicles when purchased. IMO, waiting until 100k to change the transmission fluid for any vehicle is more risk than I would take.

8. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      Year and Model:
      Yeah, I hear you. Having had that experience I would be the same no doubt. I get attached to vehicles so when I buy them I tend to research any crappy engineering and make improvements. My old '93 (although needs heads and is parked right now) has over 230 K kms on it's original A4LD trans. I rebuilt the valve body adding improvements from Sonnex, external filter, additional cooler, replaced the governor and vacuum modulator, other than a scary incident with the boy driving it (I am the only driver now) I have had no issues with it.

I have all my parts to do the heads and was going to do it this weekend but the place i was going to do it in is not available. Oh well. It'll get done eventually...

I certainly wouldn't wait until 100K to change the transmission fluid either... that seems double what I would think is reasonable.

9. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT
      I had a '94 Explorer that I bought with low miles and drove it on the original transmission to 200k miles when I sold it. The engine and transmission ran virtually trouble free while I had it. It burned, or leaked, no oil all the time I had it. There were a few things that needed replaced like an alternator, started, front wheel bearing, a new radiator etc. but it was one of the most dependable and trouble free vehicles I have owned. The only one that I think is better is the '89 Mustang I bought new that is still sitting in the garage. In its first 130k miles the only repair I had to do to it was a tie rod end. I started modding it right after that and it still had the original clutch at that point. Considering I beat the heck out of it nearly every time I drove it, that fact it did so well was even more impressive. I tell people all the time that if they want to buy a car that is stone cold reliable then buy a Mustang.

10. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      Year and Model:
      Funny, I had an '87 5.0, that thing never let me down and beat on it too. I broke things, wore out the AOD, put a T5 in it, had it like 17 years, modded the heck out of it and even at the end when it wouldn't idle without touching the gas a bit I would still have driven it across the country without a second thought. The idle issue was my own fault, the B303 cam and other mods were not a good match with the speed density computer.

11. kevin512

kevin512 New Member

City, State:
      St. Paul, Minneota
      Year and Model:
      My Ford Dealer told me that my sealed transmission ('02 XLT 4.0L) is recommended to be flushed at 150K (they hook up at the cooler lines).

I'm at 155K miles now and have never had a problem with the transmission. Should I get it flushed or is it a waste of money ($199) ? I've heard mixed messages on whether or not it should be flushed for the first time with high miles.

Thanks.

12. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      Year and Model:
      If you can't or don't want to tackle it yourself it is a good idea. Of course they will change the filter. I would consider adding an external filter too. That should be able to sell you one and install it if you don't want to. The external ones are able to trap the much finer stuff the pan filter misses.

13. Vette76

Vette76 Member

City, State:
      Maine
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT 4.0L & 97 XLT 5.0L
      Kevin512 - I would STRONGLY considering not getting it flushed unless you've had it flushed at regular intervals along the way.

If you're at 155,000 and have never had an issue...don't chance it. I had a tranny flush at around 50,000 miles and didn't do it again until 110,000 miles and that last one was literally my tranny's undoing.

Right after it was flushed at 110,000 it immediately started to slip. 2 months later..it was dead.

At 155,000 miles, why would you start flushing it now? If it is because you'd like to get more miles on it, I think you're pretty much on free time now ;)

14. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      Year and Model:
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    15. turborich

turborich Active Member

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer
      If you're at 155k and have never flushed it then I would either...

Drop the pan only, replace filter and fluid.

Or don't do anything and keep driving it.

It's up to you at this point, A flush will do more harm then good. It may even cause the death of your transmission. To be honest I'm not sure if I would drop the pan or just keep trucking. Even dropping the pan at this point may cause trouble. You should have done about 4 or 5 trans services with those miles. You are very lucky that it's help up for this long. If you do decide to drop the pan & do the filter & refill then only use Mercon V trans fluid. Not suitable for Mercon V or compatible with Mercon V, You want Mercon V period.

16. kevin512

kevin512 New Member

City, State:
      St. Paul, Minneota
      Year and Model:
      Thanks for advice, I'll skip the transmission fluid change. The service tech put my VIN number into his computer and it clearly showed 150K. I'm not saying the answer is right, but it is what my dealer is advising. My plan is to replace the Explorer at 225K (when my tires and brakes will need replacing again) or when the next major mechanical failure happens. I was simply trying to extend the life of the transmission so that I might have a chance of getting to 225K. It seems I've been lucky, but so far I've had zero problems with the transmission.

17. Jack_Wagon

Jack_Wagon New Member

City, State:
      Glen Burnie, MD
      Year and Model:
      07 JK, 97 F250,
      I'm sitting at about 125K miles on my 05 4.6. Do you think it is a bad idea to flush my trans? I have not done it since I've owned it. Got it at 90K.

Or should I just change the filter and fluid and call it a day?

What are your thoughts?

18. JoshMcMadMac

JoshMcMadMac Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Waynesboro, PA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      I would start with a filter and fluid change. Do it again in a few thousand miles and see how it is treating you.

19. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      Year and Model:
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    20. turborich

turborich Active Member

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer
      The Explorer transmissions all ready have a fairly large magnet in the pan.

21. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT
    22. 05explorer1974

05explorer1974 Member

Year and Model:
      2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sp
      Yes the Explorer trans starting in 02 and up are seal units. You have to put the trans fluid using cooler lines. There is a special type of drain plug at the bottom of the transmission. I have 97,000 miles on my 05 Explorer and I have never changed a filter on mine. I don't think this trans has a filter because of the magnet. On regular driving you could probably go 100,000 if it is all highway driving. In city driving not towing you could go 60,000. I change mine at 50,000 because I tow a trailer quite a few times a year. I am due again for another one soon. Make sure you get Mercon V don't use regular dextron/mercon.

23. JoshMcMadMac

City, State:
      Waynesboro, PA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      They are not sealed, they just do not have a dipstick. The fluid is added through the drain plug. There is a filter, and there is a magnet. These transmissions are rather sensitive to fluid, so a 50k mile change interval (with filter) is a wise choice regardless of driving conditions/habits.

24. 05explorer1974

05explorer1974 Member

Year and Model:
      We did not change very many filters at the dealer. We did a ton more flushes. According to Ford and the techs they were considered sealed units because you could not add trans fluid or check the level through conventional ways.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
    25. 05explorer1974

05explorer1974 Member

Year and Model:
      This is what Ford and all the techs I worked with all consider this a sealed unit. This is a link and a ton of other websites also say the samething. Yes I wrong there is a filter. I hardly sold any filters on 02-05 explorers, we did almost all flushes unless we replaced internal parts. You can read more on this by clicking the link below and it does say the fluid is good for 150,000 miles. I personally change mine every 50,000 miles because I tow alot.

It depends on the yr of the vehicle. Earlier models, pre 2002, had a dipstick and you could check fluid levels and top-up the fluid. Later model transmissions are a 'sealed unit' and according to Ford are designed to go 150,000 m without a fluid change. (You can tell that you have this type of transmission as it has no dipstick)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_yo...your_Ford_Explorer_transmission#ixzz1v3zYGZhd

Last edited: May 16, 2012
    26. JoshMcMadMac

City, State:
      Waynesboro, PA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      Many people call it a "sealed" unit, but that is incorrect and gives the wrong impression to those less familiar with these transmissions.

Flushing the transmission fluid without changing the filter is like showering and not changing your underpants. :rolleyes: