1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission Issues

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by 407Mainman, November 9, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 407Mainman

407Mainman New Member

City, State:
      Greenville,SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996, Explorer XLT, Blue
      Okay, ladies and gentlemen,

Hopefully, I can describe what is going on with my transmission that someone with this vast forum body can steer me toward a hopeful solution.

About a month or so ago I experienced some issues with my transmission. The first thing I did was check the trans fluid. It was low, but not drastically low, so I topped it off and it appeared to run and shift better.

Afterwards, I noticed that my front and rear brake pads were extremely worn. So, I replaced them. I also changed the driver's side plugs. After changing out the plugs, I cranked my vehicle to take it for a test drive.
      When I cranked my vehicle, I happen to notice that the driver's side of the engine raised slightly. Immediately I thought this was due to a cracked driver's side motor mount. My vehicle drives great in forward. The gears shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd and upward, and downshifting is the same. But I did notice something that concerned me. When I place the vehicle in REV, it shakes. Not a lot, but it feels as if something is loose. What it could be is the mystery.

Someone suggested that it could possibly be the transmission Servo Valves. The transmission is a 5R55S and I have watched several YouTube videos but plain and simple, I am 70 years old and any work I do has to be done under my carport.

I have another EGR issue but will submit this under a new POST.

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JK080

JK080 Transmission Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      North Ga
      05 F250 6.0
      The servos in the case have nothing to do with reverse, I would fix the mount and EGR problems first before considering the transmission had a issue.

4. imp

imp Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      5R55S transmission did not exist in 1996. imp

5. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      If it's a 96 you have a 4r55e. Does it shift into reverse slowly? First thing I'd do is replace the other bank of plugs. And wires.

6. imp

imp Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      How is initial engagement affected by ignition? Or am I missing your point? Not trying to be an A.H., just don't understand the relevance. imp

7. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Do you typically recommend replacing a single bank of plugs?

8. imp

imp Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      Never. imp