• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Killing Engine

KCK71

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
NA
I've got a 1999 Explorer that has started to have an issue of the engine killing when I slow down to stop at a stop sign, when parking, etc. It feels like what would happen if I was driving a stick shift and didn't push the clutch in when stopping. I can avoid it some by shifting into neutral just before trying to come to a stop. Even if the engine doesn't kill at a stop, it will often run rough and idle speed will surge from 500-800, something like that.

Of course when I took it to my repair shop it didn't replicate the issue...I find it happens more after driving at highway speeds for 15-20 minutes and then coming to stops after that. Any ideas on what might be causing these symptoms? Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of general maintenance have you done to it lately, and what's the mileage? Sluggish operation like that sounds like something going on in the fuel delivery and/or ignition, so simple replacement of fuel filter and spark plugs if they're overdue might solve it for you.

I had similar issues with my girlfriend's '04 4.0L with over 200k miles of a lot of commuting on it, bogging down in traffic and stalling out at lights. I thought it was the fuel pump going bad but the above solved it once I found out it had basically had nothing but oil changes done to it over its life.

If you've done all that recently, then sounds like FijiBill is on the money.

Or MAS, or TPS, all easy to test or replace.

Thanks for the help. Would any of these problems cause the Check Engine light to come on? Currently it's not on when the problem occurs.

I had a similar problem with my green 98 5.0 turned out to be in the valve body .
this is the post 1998 Mountaineer stalling

Possibly the IAC valve, which the PCM uses to control the idle. I don't think the MAF is your issue, as it doesn't even need to be connected at idle and I don't see how the TPS can case a low idle or stalling. My other thoughts are problems with the torque converter or possibly the transmission.

When's the last time you did a tune up (plugs, wires, PCV valve, clean the IAC, MAF and throttle body)? There are quite a few things that can cause stalling at idle, most will turn on the CEL, but not all.

Back