Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission late shift from 1st to 2nd

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by N_tater, April 20, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. N_tater

N_tater New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 explorer 4wd xlt
      2000 explorer
      4wd automatic
      So the explorer had been driving ok. A week or so ago I had made note that it seems to do a little bit if late shifting in the later gears but nothing that I was worrying about. Yesterday I went out for the day went 2 town over and no issues. I stopped at walmart when I got home and as I left I noticed that from 1st to 2nd gear it was slipping really bad. Instead of shifting at around 1000 where it had been it was going up over 1500. Once I'm up past that though the rest shift ok. I checked the tranny fluid and it was up to level but it looked pretty dirty. I'm hoping that a fluid change and filter change will help limp it along a little longer. Ive been advised not to do an actual flush. What do y'all think? Thanks in advance. I appreciate your time and help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Indispensable Explorer

Indispensable Explorer Member

City, State:
      Tennessee
      95 Explorer xlt
      V6 4x4
      I got a flush 6000 miles ago when my tranny started slipping in overdrive, it has not slipped since. I'm just one example and I have not driven much since, so don't take my word as scripture. I heard how flushes can be bad after I did it, and I probably wouldn't take the risk again.

4. imp

imp Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      @N_tater ".....1st to 2nd gear it was slipping really bad. Instead of shifting at around 1000 where it had been it was going up over 1500."

Slipping really bad usually implies nearly a run-away of engine speed. Was it really slipping, then completing the shift, or might it have been simply nothing more than a good shift delayed for some reason? A "delayed" shift might be caused by nothing more than a slightly heavier call for acceleration than usual. Has this slipping happened more than once? imp

5. N_tater

N_tater New Member

2000 explorer 4wd xlt
      I havent experienced the same thing since that day. It has been shifting more like it was before. I noticed today that the rpm gabe was stuck at 0 as I was accelerating. I revved up just slightly and it jumped up to 1500 which makes me think the rpms I told you originally were wrong. The best way to describe what happened the other day is comparing it to driving a manual. It felt like if I was disengaging the clutch half way for a second or 2 before actually shifting. So I still felt power forward as the rpms went up.

• Useful Useful x 1