Transmission lunge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission lunge

Reaction score
City, State
Federalsburg MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
I searched for help with this but no luck.

I am gonna say over the last couple of days I have noticed my EX kinda of lunging when I put it in drive and start moving. It clears up pretty quick but I am worried it might be the beginning of something major. I will check the trans fluid and add that bit of info to my post on my next log in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fluid level is extremely important. So is regular maintenance. New fluid and filter regularly and the installation of a (relatively cheap) in line filter can save you a lot of trouble.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161337

In the end, fluid and new filter, adjust the bands and that may clear things up. If not you may have bigger issues.

Thanks Wood1 I checked the fluid level and it is a little low. My question now is, my dipstick only says "Mercon". Not III or V so is there a regular Mercon or is that the same as Mercon III?

I don't think you can buy Mercon anymore, the synthetic V is good.

I added the fluid and it has fixed the problem. Only time it acts up now is if I am at a long red light or hold the brake for an extended period of time. Then it starts to push and force the truck forward. I am going to check the fluid in the morning after I get packed up and head home.

Back