1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission lunge

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by The Yellow One, December 31, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. The Yellow One

The Yellow One New Member

City, State:
      Federalsburg MD
      Year and Model:
      1992 Explorer
      I searched for help with this but no luck.

I am gonna say over the last couple of days I have noticed my EX kinda of lunging when I put it in drive and start moving. It clears up pretty quick but I am worried it might be the beginning of something major. I will check the trans fluid and add that bit of info to my post on my next log in.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
      Fluid level is extremely important. So is regular maintenance. New fluid and filter regularly and the installation of a (relatively cheap) in line filter can save you a lot of trouble.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161337

In the end, fluid and new filter, adjust the bands and that may clear things up. If not you may have bigger issues.

4. The Yellow One

City, State:
      Federalsburg MD
      Year and Model:
      1992 Explorer
      Thanks Wood1 I checked the fluid level and it is a little low. My question now is, my dipstick only says "Mercon". Not III or V so is there a regular Mercon or is that the same as Mercon III?

5. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
      I don't think you can buy Mercon anymore, the synthetic V is good.

6. The Yellow One

City, State:
      Federalsburg MD
      Year and Model:
      1992 Explorer
      I added the fluid and it has fixed the problem. Only time it acts up now is if I am at a long red light or hold the brake for an extended period of time. Then it starts to push and force the truck forward. I am going to check the fluid in the morning after I get packed up and head home.