1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission shifter help needed

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by jack lucas, September 8, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jack lucas

jack lucas New Member

City, State:
      elizabethtown, pa.
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      I have a 92 4x4 explorer. The automatic shifter seems to be out of adjustment. When I put it in drive, the transmission is in neutral. If I fiddle with the shifter, it will go into drive and I can drive it around the block and it shifts fine into all the gears. How do I adjust this thing??? I know the transmissions are notorious for going bad, but I think since it shifts fine once I get it into gear it must be an adjustment somewhere. Please help me out someone.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      Year and Model:
      B2 Mod
      it is adjustable at the transmission and/or at the column shifter.
      Cable stretch will cause what you are describing.

Pull the steering column plastic pieces apart and look at it, it will make more sense.

4. djpaul81

djpaul81 New Member

I think I am having a similar issue. Can you explain how to tighten this cable? Is there a how to on this?

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! There is a part on the driver's side of the transmission which snaps onto a small ball. It has a set screw on it. If you loosen this set screw, you could either push or pull the cable. Check to see if the pointer is in park inside of the vehicle, then lock the set screw into place.

6. X-North

X-North Active Member

City, State:
      Montreal
      I cna really help you I have the Ford manual shop on CD .. here is the good way to do it.

Shift System Adjustment, Ranger, Explorer and Aerostar

1. Place transmission shift select lever in the OD position.

2. Hang a three-pound weight on the end of the shift select lever.

3. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.

4. Release lock tab on the top side of the cable by pushing down on the two tangs.

5. Disconnect the shift cable from the transmission lever.

6. Shift the transmission into overdrive. On Ranger and Explorer vehicles, move the transmission lever all the way rearward (counterclockwise) and then forward three detent positions. On Aerostar vehicles, move the transmission lever all the way forward (counterclockwise) and then rearward three detent positions.

7. Reattach shift cable to transmission lever.

8. Completely push down the lock tab on the shift cable, making sure it fully engages, locking cable in place.

9. Make sure shift cable is clipped to floorpan.

10. Lower vehicle down from hoist.

11. Adjust shift indicator pointer while transmission is still in the OD position.

12. Remove the weight and check for proper engagement of all gears, including park

Have fun!!!

7. djpaul81

djpaul81 New Member

8. RangerNate

RangerNate New Member

City, State:
      CA
      Year and Model:
      1987 Ranger Supercab 4x4
      X2. It was nice of SexyFantome to post the exact how to, but I'd just adjust it by feel...done it on other vehicles and always worked great. You gotta make sure that when it's in Drive, you can wiggle the shift lever a little bit both ways without making it want to shift the trans, that way it is centered in the gear and under tension either trying to up or down shift.

Good tip!

9. djpaul81

djpaul81 New Member

thanks everyone for your help. I will try to follow the article I found about adjusting the wheel. I will let you know if this works as I will be trying to fix it over the weekend. This forum is great!

10. X-North

X-North Active Member

City, State:
      Montreal
      goood For my part i unpluged the cable and moved the shifters by hand so i had to also count the notch change on the tranny itself and look for the spring movement when i shift....it was a real mess hehehe

11. skankinandy

skankinandy New Member

City, State:
      Wilmington, NC
      Year and Model:
      99 XLS
      Just to add my 2cents, my trucks bracket that holds the thumb screw broke so I just pulled the cable back and used wireties as spacers to tighten it up.

12. JoeShuzu

JoeShuzu New Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati
      Year and Model:
      1993 XLT
      Does this lock tab exist on a '93? My cable came loose from the shifter, and it appears to me that some type of clip is needed to keep the cable attached. The parts chick at the Ford dealer says it's simply the bushing at the end of the cable that holds it on and that I need a new cable.

So, is there a clip or is it simply a bushing at the end of the cable? :dunno: