Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by pookapa, April 20, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. pookapa

pookapa Member

City, State:
      Granby, MA
      Year and Model:
      2000 Eddie Bauer
      Check engine light went on, on my 97 xlt. the scan said a transmission speed sensor, auto zone only had a vehicle speed sensor, so I changed that as well since it was only $17, but the old sensor tested good. Anybody change a transmission speed sensor, I googled it and found it here http://www.carpartswholesale.com/products/?make_t=ford&pn=transmission_speed_sensor&ci=A1165930884W457eb1843f043&kw=Ford+Transmission+Speed+Sensor+-+Motorcraft+Transmission+Speed+Sensor not really sure how to change it.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Trenton, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 ExSport, '00 F-150
      Need some more information... Are we talking about a 2wd or a 4x4, and are we dealing with the OSS sensor on the trans (or transfer case of a 4x4)? They didn't sell you the rear axle speed sensor for the rear diff, did they?

-Joe

4. budwich

budwich Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ont
      Year and Model:
      96 XL
      the check engine code would probably also help out...

5. pookapa

pookapa Member

City, State:
      Granby, MA
      Year and Model:
      2000 Eddie Bauer
      got it scanned again after check engine light came back on, i got the code P0715 "input/turbine speed sensor circuit malfunction" from reading i hear the sensor is cheap (around $20) but the only way to change it is to dissasemble the tranny. anybody know how expensive this fix is?

6. budwich

budwich Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ont
      Year and Model:
      96 XL
      well after recently having my tranny "rebuilt", I would say its $400 - $500 to "R and R" (remove and re-install) plus whatever benchwork they need to get at the "thing". Of course, they (tranny guys) will probably want to get you for more... since they are in there anyway... :) Good luck.