Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission swap torque converter question 05 explorer

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by thunderman0703, April 16, 2018 at 4:06 PM.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. thunderman0703

thunderman0703 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      05 Ford Explorer
      My 05 explorer was attacked by a deer and in the process something got knocked loose in the tranny and caused codes to pop indicating dirty lines/transmission. I just decided to swap out the transmission with an 03 I have in my yard. We dropped the 05 tranny today but the tq didn't come out with it. I figured I'd do some research and some of the things I'm reading say you need to pull the tq with the tranny to avoid pump problems (which would explain why when I tried this on a Chevy it didn't work very long). My question is where are the bolts for removing the tq from the vehicle (if any) or is there some other process I'm missing. I don't want to pull the one in the 03 until I'm sure I'm not going to damage anything as I can't afford it.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. imp

imp Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      @thunderman0703
      If you mean Torque Converter, it's 4 mounting nuts are accessed through the starter opening, one at a time. imp

4. thunderman0703

05 Ford Explorer
      @imp Yep. That's what I mean and I took those out before removing the whole transmission and it's still acting like it's bolted on

5. imp

imp Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      @thunderman0703
      Possibly T.C. pilot very tight fit, or rusted in, in crankshaft? imp

• Like Like x 1
    6. thunderman0703

05 Ford Explorer
      Well I had some cranial flatulence or something. I could have sworn I read it had 3 bolts holding it in so I only took 3 out. Came right out after I pulled the 4th bolt. Imagine that. Won't make that mistake on the donor vehicle. All I'll having problems with now is that passenger upper Bell housing bolt. Going to get a few more tools tomorrow so I can get it off. It seems there is less space in the 03 up top than in the 05. Thank you for your response.

7. imp

imp Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      @thunderman0703
      There is usually a simple answer for a seemingly difficult problem. Glad you got it out. imp

8. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      Just be careful locking the converter in place BEFORE you put the new transmission up in place.

It usually sits recessed about 1\4" to 3\16" behind the front flange of the bell housing when installed properly.

If I am correct some Ford Transmissions used with the V-6 engine actually have a special alignment tool that is needed.

This video will give you a general idea.