• Register Today It's free!

Transmission swap.

Adam_tinkerer

Reaction score
City, State
Newton, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Aerostar
Thursday the 29th was a bad day. Had yo have a tooth extracted, and then tried to get a couple hours' work in. On the ride home, trans started slipping badly. Pulled over a couple times to check fluid, it was leaking, but not low yet. Finally, I got within walking distance of my neighborhood, and it wouldn't go any further. Tried gassing it to get across the last intersection, but only blew the rest of the fluid out. Police wouldn't push me, so I had to spend $50 on a couple tenths of a mile tow, on top of the unexpected dental work. The parts van had a good trans, so I set out for a swap last Saturday. I set both vans with the tires setting on horizontal tires, as I've had too many tip overs on stands! Had a terrible time getting the drive shaft flange bolts out on my dd van. Seems like a 12 point 1/2" but isn't. Had to grind the head off one. Tough getting the TC to seat all the way too. Then it rained every afternoon this week, so I couldn't finish up until today. Thank goodness everything works properly!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The same happened to me twice. First time I got within a half mile of the house. I walked home and had the neighbor drive my other car to tow the van home. Second time I was 37 miles from home, lost one gear at a time till it would only move holding the rev limiter. It barely got me home. Both vans got a manual transmission swapped in.

i understand if trans gets too hot the front seal lets go.i had it happen to me and lost four quarts of fluid.i was ten minutes from home.i replaced the fluid and it hasn't done it since.

Back