Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

ZRacer83

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2016 X Sport with 12,000 miles on it and the original Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires only have 4/32 of tread left on them. This my wife's daily driver used to take the kids to school and run errands so it is by no means driven hard. Hankook only wants to pro-rate them at 25% which I think is a joke. There is no way these tires should be wearing like this. Anybody else having this issues with these tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2016 X Sport with 12,000 miles on it and the original Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires only have 4/32 of tread left on them. This my wife's daily driver used to take the kids to school and run errands so it is by no means driven hard. Hankook only wants to pro-rate them at 25% which I think is a joke. There is no way these tires should be wearing like this. Anybody else having this issues with these tires?

I've got a 2016 Platinum with the same tires and I drive 9 states for a living (in sales). I have over 20K miles on my car and the tires are fine. I have my tires rotated every 6K miles. Dealer says I'll get another 30K on my tires. I think more like 25K. I hope this helps?

I've got a 2016 Platinum with the same tires and I drive 9 states for a living (in sales). I have over 20K miles on my car and the tires are fine. I have my tires rotated every 6K miles. Dealer says I'll get another 30K on my tires. I think more like 25K. I hope this helps?

Thanks Jon. Good to know yours are holding up well, but even more frustrating that mine aren't even close to lasting as long as. Clearly something is wrong.

which set have 4/32", front or rear? I have those tires and haven't put enough mileage on them to check tread wear but I do run them close to 40psi because I tend to corner a little fast and usually wear the outside edges first.

which set have 4/32", front or rear? I have those tires and haven't put enough mileage on them to check tread wear but I do run them close to 40psi because I tend to corner a little fast and usually wear the outside edges first.

All four are at 4/32s and have been inflated at the recommended 32 psi. Tires have been rotated every 5k so wear is pretty even.

Are you sure on the tire pressure specs..? I too have the Sport and the tire pressure is 35 psi.on my door post sticker.
Typo correction.

All four are at 4/32s and have been inflated at the recommended 32 psi. Tires have been rotated every 5k so wear is pretty even.
...and now I know your name on here. :)

One thing we didn't discuss on FB was tire pressure. On my '17 it recommends 35 lbs, not 32. I wonder if under inflation is causing some of your issue?

Ok, this is a little hard to read as this picture was originally taken to save my VIN on my phone, but you can see the recommended tire pressures on the far left.

View media item 767

I know this sounds silly but i have to ask, its 4/32" not millimeters and measured in the center of the tread? Did you measure them or some kid rotating tires at a tire shop (they really like to say everyones tires are junk). If 4/32" is the actual wear and the alignment is ok it might be hard acceleration if the tires aren't starting to round off on the edges, just throwing ideas out there. At this rate by the next oil change they will be at the wear bar indicators. Are you able to take a picture of the tire tread?

I use this type of gauge, it works really well and easy to read
http://www.lasertools.co.uk/items/xlarge/2962.jpg

Read your owners manual on tire warranty. I believe off poor memory that under 12k is 100%, 12-24k is 50% and 24-36k is 25%. It requires them to be at 2/32" so I believe once you hit that, you will be at 50% replacement.

..... On my '17 it recommends 35 lbs, not 32. I wonder if under inflation is causing some of your issue?

Ok, this is a little hard to read as this picture was originally taken to save my VIN on my phone, but you can see the recommended tire pressures on the far left.
I wonder why or if the Sport has a different PSI requirement? My '17 Platinum also shows 35 PSI and that is the only number I recall seeing in any tire discussions.
I did notice that the other 2 numbers shown on your sticker differ from mine. My sticker shows 557kg or 1228lbs. I wonder if that is because the Platinum is a heavier vehicle resulting in lower 'cargo/passenger' weight?

Peter

I am at 22k on my 2016 Sport and my stock Hankooks look great. I don't rotate as often as everyone else, I rotated at 20k miles. I am expecting to get at least 40k out of them.

I also run them at 35psi. Currently they are a little higher due to temp changes, but I will drop them back down to 35psi when I have a chance.

Thanks Jon. Good to know yours are holding up well, but even more frustrating that mine aren't even close to lasting as long as. Clearly something is wrong.

I let the dealer handle that but the one important thing is to rotate the tires every 6K miles or 10K miles. It helps. I also have it filled to their recommended PSI

I wonder why or if the Sport has a different PSI requirement? My '17 Platinum also shows 35 PSI and that is the only number I recall seeing in any tire discussions.
I did notice that the other 2 numbers shown on your sticker differ from mine. My sticker shows 557kg or 1228lbs. I wonder if that is because the Platinum is a heavier vehicle resulting in lower 'cargo/passenger' weight?

Peter
Interesting. Off the top of my head I can think of two things. One is for sure different and one might be. You have twin turbos and I don't. That will add at least a little weight. I also have second row buckets (not sure about you, though.) I can see having the bench versus two buckets adding a bit more weight, too. I'd be curious to know what the weight difference is, though, because even those two things wouldn't add up to all that much difference, at least I wouldn't think.

Back a bit on topic, I looked at my actual tires when I was sending my 4 year old with my mother-in-law to preschool. Other than 'don't inflate above 40psi' I didn't see any other indications. I looked pretty thoroughly, although it was still early and I had a two year old repeatedly saying 'daddy, come back inside' the whole time so perhaps I overlooked it, but not having a 'recommended' psi seemed odd to me.

We discussed a few other reasons on FB early this morning, but the wife was asleep and I couldn't ask her for input. Didn't have a chance to ask her this morning, either. Of course she works for Conti and we're talking Hankook so they might operate totally differently, anyway. haha

This is what the Warranty Guide brochure says about tires.

"For vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty time in service
and mileage coverage period, defective tires will be replaced on a pro
rata adjustment basis according to the following mileage-based
Reimbursement Schedule:
MILES DRIVEN PERCENT OF PARTS COVERED BY FORD
1-12,000 100%
12,001-24,000 60%
24,001-36,000 30%
The tire manufacturer also provides you with a separate tire warranty that
may extend beyond the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage. You will
find the manufacturer’s tire warranty with the owner literature supplied
with your vehicle."

Note: The Tire Warranty Guide shows an additional 36,001-50,000 15% as part of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It goes on to say;

"Free replacement If Hankook Radial Passenger & Light Truck Tires fail as a result of defect in material and/or workmanship within the First 25% of treadwear, the tire will be replaced with a new, comparable Hankook tire at no charge including mounting and balancing charges."
Beyond that it will be prorated.

Peter

2016 Sport owner here and mine measured at 9/32 back in the fall before I switched them out for winters.
I'm at 15K miles and more than half of the accumulated mileage is from srping through to fall; as I've driven out of town on many occasions.

Something isn't right. If the tires are actually underinflated, I would expect the wear to be less even(more wear on edges?).
How's the alignment?

Maybe your wife drives much more aggressive than you think...although, I would think you'd have to drive extremely aggressive to wear these tires down that quickly. I have the older Hankooks on my 14 Sport and am at a little over 50K miles and still have quite a bit of tread left. Easily another 15k out of them although I'll have to see what they're like before next winter.

About the warranty, I see it says "defective" tire. Would fast, even wear be considered defective?

About the warranty, I see it says "defective" tire. Would fast, even wear be considered defective?
That's what I wondering as well when I posted that.

Checking out that Hankook on both 1010tires and tirerack sites the lowest rating is snow performance followed by treadwear. In any case the tire receives a better rating than the previous Optimo H426.

15K miles on mine and very little wear. I've rotated once along the way and will rotate again fairly soon. Sounds like you might have a leadfoot in the house and underinflated tires? Out of alignment? Curious what kind of mileage you are getting. If you're down in the 15-17mpg range, it's a pretty good guess it's eating tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

15K miles on mine and very little wear. I've rotated once along the way and will rotate again fairly soon. Sounds like you might have a leadfoot in the house and underinflated tires? Out of alignment? Curious what kind of mileage you are getting. If you're down in the 15-17mpg range, it's a pretty good guess it's eating tires.

I'm in the 16mpg range and my tires are still fresh :)

Back