Treadwright tires anyone? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwright tires anyone?

:thumbsup::thumbdwn:
I am researching the treadwright.com tires. I am looking for some 31's. I want a mud terrain as that's what I enjoy most as of now. That should change after awhile. It get's everywhere!!!
I am looking at getting the sites version of either the BFG A/T or the MT/R.
ImgDisplay.aspx

ImgDisplay.aspx

I am wanting to know if anyone on here has some first hand experience with any of their tires, particularly the two mentioned above.

I did search first. Found two threads on their old stuff(Green Diamonds). They have a different and better product now from what I've heard.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drove over 300 miles with them since mounting them on Friday. They ride great, not too loud but there is a hum from them. They did take a lot of weight to balance them out. Right now my only issue is a slow leak from my driver's side front. Going to have that checked out in a few days.

Dan

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'll probably check into the 315/75/16s when they are available. Basically 35". The only thing holding me back has been availability.

Mine are still holding up okay. One appears to have a very slow leak now, not sure why yet. I knew I needed an alignment months ago and am now paying the price for waiting. Both my front tires had some neg camber and now the tread looks like a ski slope :(

They'll probably last me until race season when I'll get some new tires with the extra $$ coming in. Just checked out TreadWright's site and it looks like the options for R15 tires has dropped dramatically. Not sure what I'm going to do...

I'm still happy with them, 5 31" MT's for $440, if I had gotten that alignment fixed to begin with I'm sure they would have easily lasted me another 20K.

Since having the tires mounted, one of them has had a slow leak that I have not been able to find. I sent an email yesterday explaining this and they are sending me out a replacement tire in the same casing. These guys stand by their products! Their customer service is truly top notch. I don't believe I have yet to hear any negatives about their customer service. Because of this they will continue to get my business and anyone else I can recommend to them.

Dan

ordered mine monday 265/70/17 guard dog mt. they will be here friday!

just got my 31" crawlers in and i love them. just a little bit of rubbing but im putting the bl on tomorrow so that wont be a problem. ill put pictures up. they do hum but its not that bad and they look sick. clear out really nicely and so far so good.

so if anyone cares here is what i have heard about retreads. the issue with why they fly apart on some people, but not on others, is similar to the reason some of those firestones flew apart. majority of the time it comes down to tire pressure and duration of high speed travel.

meaning, when you run the tires at high speeds for an extended period of time they build up alot of heat, which makes the tread (which is formed on the old tire) more pliable or stretchable or something, so as a result it is easier for it to pull off the core of the tire. this issue is also affected by improper tire pressure which also can lead to excessive heat and reduces the stregth of the tire, the psi is actually a functioning part of the structure of the tire, lower psi = a weaker tire. low pressure weak tire + excessive heat means higher probability of the tread separating from the core of the tire.

so pretty much people who do long distance high way driving might not want retreads, or atleast should use caution and monitor psi carefully.

I've done a bunch of highway driving at speeds up to 90 on the retreads with no issues. Typical and average highway speed for me is around 75. I do monitor my air pressures closely though. With my D-rated tires, I am running 50 psi front and 45 psi rear. But it is a good idea to check air pressures regularly and to do visual inspections of the tires. But so far I have over 3000 miles on them with no problems. Not sure what to make of the wet traction yet. Not sure if I can really comment since I have a truck now and have no weight in the rear. Hydroplane resistance is really good, I attribute that to the deep tread and tread pattern. Dry traction is very good, and handling is about the same as my OE BFG Long Trails. Wear seems to be pretty good, haven't measured it at all, but looks to be decent. Still a good buy for me.

Dan

Thanks for the report!

I see the 315/75/16s got pushed out yet again.... Good thing I don't need them for a while, and I'd prefer the AT tread pattern anyway since they'll be road tires.

Got mine mounted Saturday!
Great looking tires. They are loud under 60 mph, but over it I can barely hear them.

0342.jpg

033-1.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

030.jpg

Mine are still holding up okay. One appears to have a very slow leak now, not sure why yet. I knew I needed an alignment months ago and am now paying the price for waiting. Both my front tires had some neg camber and now the tread looks like a ski slope :(

They'll probably last me until race season when I'll get some new tires with the extra $$ coming in.

Wow, that was 6 months ago. Just ordered a whole new set today. the fronts are completely shot. They are almost bald on the inside tread, but look near new on the outside. My fault for not getting that alignment.

My last order was $421, now they are $447 for 4. Looks like shipping price went up.

Treadwright is also projecting 14-21 days before they even ship, so it'll be a whlie.... Still very happy with these tires, did great in the 12" of snow we got a few weeks ago. Only reason I have to order again so soon is the front alignment issue.

edit: oh and the reason I had a slow leak? There was a nail in the tire =P

Hey Guys, just bought and installed 31" wardens (BFG AT), look awesome, but im having second thoughts. When i first got the tires i noticed the tread is not a smooth surface, its like some of the rubber either didnt mold completely to the machine or it stuck to the mold.. Then the tires were mounted and balanced. Got into the car and they are generally rougher riding (to be expected) but also vibrate the car on a completely smooth surface from 20-50, its not A predictable vibration like an imbalanced tire either. I also i didnt notice MUCH vibration in the steering wheel. It vibrates down to 20mph sometimes lower. Im thinking of going to a road-force balance to check the shape of the tire too, and make sure its the tire and not a anomaly in my front end (which is possible, see below)

If its of any help, the reason i bought new tires is the Goodyears i had scalloped on the front right. Not bashing Treadwright yet since i dont have my facts straight...

Hey Guys, just bought and installed 31" wardens (BFG AT), look awesome, but im having second thoughts. When i first got the tires i noticed the tread is not a smooth surface, its like some of the rubber either didnt mold completely to the machine or it stuck to the mold.. Then the tires were mounted and balanced. Got into the car and they are generally rougher riding (to be expected) but also vibrate the car on a completely smooth surface from 20-50, its not A predictable vibration like an imbalanced tire either. I also i didnt notice MUCH vibration in the steering wheel. It vibrates down to 20mph sometimes lower. Im thinking of going to a road-force balance to check the shape of the tire too, and make sure its the tire and not a anomaly in my front end (which is possible, see below)

If its of any help, the reason i bought new tires is the Goodyears i had scalloped on the front right. Not bashing Treadwright yet since i dont have my facts straight...

whats your tread pattern look like? my buddy has some mud tires on his bronco, dont know what kinda they are, they look like bfg MT's they are not retreads, but have some big lugs, and they vibrate like CRAZY when coming to a stop at low speeds. highway is not real bad, just slow speeds, its might be your tread pattern. as for smooth part, do u mean the side wall? being a re-tread i believe its normal since that is where the new tread is put onto the old case, my friend just got some nice mud tire re-treads at a local shop and you can see the groove/overlap on the sidewall.

whats your tread pattern look like? my buddy has some mud tires on his bronco, dont know what kinda they are, they look like bfg MT's they are not retreads, but have some big lugs, and they vibrate like CRAZY when coming to a stop at low speeds. highway is not real bad, just slow speeds, its might be your tread pattern. as for smooth part, do u mean the side wall? being a re-tread i believe its normal since that is where the new tread is put onto the old case, my friend just got some nice mud tire re-treads at a local shop and you can see the groove/overlap on the sidewall.

Maybey:(

20101217152136.jpg

20101217152228.jpg

20101217152148.jpg

That line in the tread is from the halves of the mold. It where they come together and form the tread pattern. It should wear off in a few thousand miles. It shouldn't cause any traction or balance issues either. I've had my retreads since May, and haven't had any issues. My only problems are with the stupid TPMS causing a slow air leak.

That line in the tread is from the halves of the mold. It where they come together and form the tread pattern. It should wear off in a few thousand miles. It shouldn't cause any traction or balance issues either. I've had my retreads since May, and haven't had any issues. My only problems are with the stupid TPMS causing a slow air leak.

Thanks, buit what i mean is look at the surface of this tire,

032.jpg

and compare to mine

20101217152136.jpg

Seems like the molding process was rushed.

Also i know now one of the tires are oblong, so im going to bring it to a roadforce balancer and check for uniformity, and inform Treadwright of my findings and get a replacement.

Their tires should be warranted to take no more than 9 ounces to balance in the static balance setting. Their customer service is top notch and they do stnd by what they sell. So they will work with you to make you happy about your purchase.

i dont see where that should cause a problem, my theory is you get what you pay for, those are retreads, not brand new, and the price is half of what a new tire would be, just my opinion. i wouldnt worry about it, unless the tire shop does find the tire to be defective, in which case i heard amazing reviews about TreadWrights customer service, maybe the casing isnt any good. im curious to see what you find out so let us know

Absoulutely, i knew i was taking a chance. Will keep you in the know.

Absoulutely, i knew i was taking a chance. Will keep you in the know.

by no means am i saying retreads are of less quality, i am a frim believer in retreads, semis have been using them for decades. from my experience driving truck: i have actually had more brand new factory tires blow out on me than i have retreads. actually with the technology nowadays retreads are just as good as new. but im sure if there was a defect in the case/tire/tread treadwright will make it right by you.

Back