Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
So yea why not.

So plan is: RESEARCH RESEARCH.

I did a few minor measurements. and it looks like i will be doing the following

One piece front clip for hood and fenders (i always wanted a fiberglass hood).

Need to of course make custom motor, transmission, and maybe transfer case mounts but thats no biggie.

Need to find a wiring diagram i can study on the 5.4 so if any one has one let me know.

Along with the swap will be a few suspension upgrades to handle the weight and power.

Basicly the plan is to get a complete 5.4 back to the transfer case and all the wiring harness needed.

Pull my 4.0 and cut everything not needed out of the way and put the 5.4 in its place. fairly simple and to the point.

Edit: Its either go back to automatic or get a transmission from a F250 which will be a 6 speed manual..... Dont that sound nice.
Ok time for your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How in cornbread heck are you going to fit that thing in there? The 4.6s won't fit in a 2nd gen. I think it's 351ci time.

If you get a one piece front clip, how much will you sell your fiberglass fenders for?

How in cornbread heck are you going to fit that thing in there? The 4.6s won't fit in a 2nd gen. I think it's 351ci time.

ummm how about by cutting EVERYTHING out of the way but the firewall and the frame and starting from there on the install.

adding a couple of links so i have them for later

Stand alone harness and ECU
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10537
Install Instructions
http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-6017-463V_54SC.pdf
Header Flanges
http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/
the research continues

oh and on the fenders.. who know this will be awhile before i got all the parts assembled and ready to put in..

You will have to move everything out of the engine bay on the sides and back to fit a bigger engine like the 5.4 modular. Those are as big as any old big block, and the 351W is really too big. The AC is gone, heater also, take the box out. The frame will be in the way of any exhaust. The steering shaft will interfere with the heads and/or exhaust manifolds. The width of the engine is going to make problems for the side parts under the hood. other than that, do it.

FYI, you can build a 400hp 347 very easily, and it bolts right in. Good luck,

You will have to move everything out of the engine bay on the sides and back to fit a bigger engine like the 5.4 modular. Those are as big as any old big block, and the 351W is really too big. The AC is gone, heater also, take the box out. The frame will be in the way of any exhaust.
attachment.php

The steering shaft will interfere with the heads and/or exhaust manifolds.
Hydraulic steering!

Zabeard over at Ranger-forums is going to be putting a 5.4 in his 2003 Ranger. Might have a word or two with him.

Zabeard over at Ranger-forums is going to be putting a 5.4 in his 2003 Ranger. Might have a word or two with him.

too bad i cant talk my brother into letting me store the donor truck at his house. he is saying one truck is enough and that he doesn't have room for a second one or this would happen for sure. Now i will just be research and starting over on the price.

Here is a thought. Use a big bronco frame. There was a Ranger I saw a while back (cant remember which mag) with a 460. They had set the ranger body on a big bronco frame. Or get a late model truck with the whole set up motor tranny x-fer etc. shorten as necisary. But seriously a 302 will produce as much power as you need off road. Unless you are mud racing. And realisticly I would have had a lot less money in a blown 4.0 with an atlas or doubler than what I have in my set up now. On the other hand a ranger that sounds like a mustang turns some heads.

So lemme get this straight, a 347 will drop in and bolt up no questions asked? What else needs to be purchased with it? I am looking at a brand new 347 for $3,500 and if it's a straight swap I'm pulling the trigger on it.

Back