1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Trouble code P0443

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Doug, October 14, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      Year and Model:
      I finally got my codes read at autozone and I got code P0443. I know it's something related to the evap. system but other than that I can't seem to find out much more. Any one know what part(s) need to be checked/replaced?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Doug

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      Year and Model:
      Bumpity Bump, come on someone have an idea, i don't want to go ask Ford, they'll probably charge me eleventy billion dollars to tell me whats wrong.

4. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      I'm not where I have access to my ODB-II materials but from memory, it's a gross leak - meaning a leak equal to a .060 hole in the system...check all your fittings and the cap....when I am where I can check out the book on it I'll see if a) My memory is any good and b) what you can do.

EDIT. Ok I am stupid. It is NOT a gross leak but a purge valve circuit error. The purge valve is near the power steering pump as I recall... check your wiring, but in all liklihood for once a code MAY actually point to a bad component. It will have 2 hoses coming off of it, one goes to the charcoal cannister.... Not sure how you would test it.... but I am guessing that barring any obvious wire issues, it is the valve itself.... sorry for the earlier bad info. I left it up so you know I am just like all of us... and make mistakes too - a LOT !

Last edited: October 16, 2004
    5. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian Moderator Emeritus EF Vendor

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Year and Model:
      It refers to your EVAP system/Emissions. Try cleaning your IAC.. I've heard that replacing the PCM can also correct it but I wouldn't go that route unless it was a definate. Not sure if it would be related to your 02 sensors or not.

6. xltbluesport

xltbluesport New Member

City, State:
      St. Paul, MN
      Year and Model:
      2004 XLT Sport 4WD 4Door
      This is a copy / paste from a search on the web...

7. Doug

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      Year and Model:
      I had a feeling it was the charcoal canister, I'll check it out today and hopefully that'll get rid of my check engine light and fix the super crappy gas mileage im getting.