• Register Today It's free!

Troubled 2003 Explorer Sport

TD03

Reaction score
City, State
South River
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport 4.0L
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L V6 with ~120K miles and the truck runs fine for several weeks then coming out of the store, the engine cranks and does not start. This has happened 4 times since last summer. Every time it has happened, I had the truck towed ($$$) to a garage to look at it and when the the truck arrives, it starts no problem. The garage could not find anything since there are no codes and everything was working as it should. The past two times I checked the fuel rail and pressurized gas comes out so assuming the engine is getting gas and its not the fuel pump. I read several forums and from their recommendations, I replaced the Crank Position Sensor, Coil Pack and Fuel Inertia Switch and after a ~month, the same occurred and the engine cranks and does not start. Again paid towing fees to the garage and the truck started once arrived. Very frustrating and inconvenient...

People have said about switching/replacing sensors, relays, clean dirty valves, etc. but what I cant understand is how can the engine run great then crank no start and then after some time starts with no definitive indications.

Any recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds fuel related filter or pump,if it happens again,Listen when you turn the key to the on position not start,you should here the fuel pump hum for a few seconds.If you do not here the pump turn the key off and on till you do.Wait a few seconds between tries

just had a new pump put on and it kept doing the same thing. got my new key fob's in the mail and programmed them to my explorer and that seems to have fixed the issue. still a little slow to start at times ( acts like its trying to cold start.) sputters a little then fires right up and cranks every time during the day. if it sits for several hours then it takes a few times with turning the switch on and off then cranks. getting a new fuel filter tomorrow.

Back