Troy's 1996 XLT Ranger | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Troy's 1996 XLT Ranger

Thanks, guys! I feel that I'm making progress with it.

There are many things I'd like to do, but a couple of the major things are done - notably storage and suspension - and I'm pretty happy with the truck's function. I can be content for a bit and chip away at some of the small things before making another big upgrade.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are going to paint your flares, you might want to consider having them coated with Line-X. I did mine (on my '93) and I really like it. Plus, there is no paint to chip off.

Thanks, Scott.

How is the line-x applied that it wouldn't be at risk for chipping off? Does it just spray on like paint or is there something special about it? I do like how that looks on your 93.

I keep going back and forth on doing this. Guess that gives me the time to mull over all the options. :)

I prepped my flares by using glazing putty to fill the scratches/gouges/chips, then sanding everything with 120 grit. I do not know if they were sanded any more by the Line-X folks.

The flares are completely covered with Line-X (inside and out) - I assume that is how they keep the liner from peeling off.

I have about 10,000 miles on them, including a 5300 mile trip to the Nevada desert, and look like new.

I am definitely happy with them.

Thanks again for the info. I contacted a local line-x to get a quote, but never heard back. I'll try again in a bit.

Did some maintenance on the Ranger to include plugs and wires. Two things of note:

1. The plug wires were a pain. Seriously, I'd like to slap the engineer who decided to crowd the plug wires in there the way they did. I know the passenger side is notoriously difficult (unless removing the inner fender), but I actually had a worse time on the driver's side. The tubing and such coming off the exhaust manifold did not need to be where it is. I couldn't get my hand or pliers in there to remove the boots. I broke three of the plugs total trying to remove the boots - the two I broke on the driver's side were intentional.

2. This engine rocks. It isn't finicky about its parts and the plug gap evidently isn't a huge issue for this engine. Yes, I gapped my new plugs, 0.054" per spec. The ones I removed, however, had lived a long, hard life. They had worn until they were 0.085"! The truck ran great before and is running great now.

It was a rough couple hours. But the Ranger is much happier and I will be too once all the bruises and cuts heal. :)

Back