1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

truxx lift and tires

Discussion in '2007 - 2010 Explorer Sport Trac' started by wanna1, March 30, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wanna1

wanna1 Member

Year and Model:
      2007 XLT
      I am planning on installing a Truxx lift on my 2007 XLT V8 4WD Sport Trac. I would like to go with a more aggressive tire such as the Dick Cepek FCII. They make it in 265/70/17 and 285/70/17. I am planning on using a Granite Alloy GX1 17x8 wheel.
      Will the 285 fit or do I need to stick with the 265?
      Any other suggestions are welcome.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mooshin

mooshin Member

City, State:
      AZ
      Year and Model:
      2008 Sport Trac XLT
      It depends on the offset of the wheel.

4. wanna1

wanna1 Member

Year and Model:
      2007 XLT
      The offset is +45mm. My current wheels are the chrome 18 inch factory ones.

5. FLOffroad

FLOffroad Active Member

City, State:
      Wasatch, Utah
      Year and Model:
      Forester; 08 ST sold :(
      If the Granite Alloys you plan on using have a +45mm offset, you ought to use the 265s. If you really want 285s, get 0 or negative offset wheels.

6. wanna1

wanna1 Member

Year and Model:
      2007 XLT
      I am now shopping for 0 degree offset 17" wheels.
      Does anyone have any good or bad experiences that they are willing to share regarding my search?

7. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2008 XLT Ironman
      I've got an '04 but you also might want to consider the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radials. I have had them for the past 6000 miles and love them. It's an AT tire with an aggressive tread, and not too loud on the highway either. They have been awesome in snow, ice, and mud. If you can get them at a competitive price against the Cepeks it might be worth considering.

8. wanna1

wanna1 Member

Year and Model:
      2007 XLT
      I saw a set of those and they looked good!
      I'm trying to squeeze a 285/70/17 tire on my truck but may have to settle for 275/70/17 if I can't figure out a workable wheel solution.
      Thanks for your input!

9. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2008 XLT Ironman
      not sure how much it helps for the 2006-2010 models, but there are a few 2002-2005 owners on the forum who have 285's with a 2.25" front/1.75" rear strut spacer lift. Though I have heard that rubbing may or may not be an issue there. That size lift with a 3" body lift clears no problem with those trucks...though not sure if that is an option for the 2006-2010's.

Wheels offset is definitely important. I run 0 offset wheels and have had no rubbing issues with 265/75/16's except when I had just a 1.5 body lift. Just had to trim a tiny piece from the front bumper that extended into the front wheel wells.

10. wanna1

wanna1 Member

Year and Model:
      2007 XLT
      I've ordered the Truxxx kit which should give me 2.5 front and 1.5 rear lift.
      I guess I'll have to wait until the Truxxx kit is installed to check for clearance. I saw where one of the forum members was running 275/70/17s on his but I don't know what wheels he was using.
      Maybe some others will chime in on this.