Truxxx Leveling Kit & Bigger Tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truxxx Leveling Kit & Bigger Tires

SSCochrane

Reaction score
City, State
Appleton, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Sport Trac V8
Ok, I have a 2007 Sport Trac Limited V8 4x4.

The stock tires look too small, so I wanted bigger tires. I installed P255 / 70 / R18 Firestone Destination AT tires. With those tires, I had some rubbing on the plastic wheel well when turning and going over bumps.

When I looked for information of adding a lift on here, there seemed to be a lot of confusion between the Explorer and Sport Trac suspensions. I couldn't find any clear facts. Some web sites listed fitment for both, others just the Explorer.

On the Truxxx website, they said the leveling kit with the same part number, #102010 , fits both. I called them to verify and they said yes they are both the same.

I then called Rancho and was able to talk to a knowledgeable person there. They told me that both vehicles did have the same mounting points.

I was looking at using the Quicklift or RS 5000 struts from Rancho. I did see on here that some people said by using the Quicklift they felt it wore out the ball joints & other parts prematurely or they needed to change the upper arms.

I decided to go with the Truxxx leveling kit & new Rancho shocks. I found the Truxxx leveling kit on Ebay for $200. Pep Boys had a sale on the Rancho shocks and 1/2 off price for installation.
I installed Rancho RS 5000 Struts. Rear - RS5754 & Front - RS5753.

After a little discussion I convinced Pep Boys that since they had to remove the struts & springs anyway to install the new shocks, it would be an easy install. They didn't charge me anything extra to install the lift kit. (Other shops I called would not install any suspension altering equipment)

The Truxxx information included detailed installation directions & new Alignment specs which were dead on.

The bigger tires did cause an issue that I wasn't expecting with my speedometer. It now is off about 5MPH. I have ordered a kit to adjust the computer with the correct tire size which I am told will cure that.

Overall I am very happy with the whole setup. It raised the truck roughly 3"-4" providing plenty of clearance. It does rides a little rougher with the stiffer off-road shocks and heavier tires. Feels like a true 4x4, not a tweener. On the highway it cruises, handles & rides very smooth. Wife isn't as happy because she has to hop up into the truck now.
:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds great; happy everything worked out well.

Posted Pictures

Here are pictures of with the Truxxx lift installed.

Attachments

• Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 4,556
  • Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,739
  • IMG_7475.jpg
    IMG_7475.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,405
  • IMG_7473.jpg
    IMG_7473.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,110
  • IMG_7474.jpg
    IMG_7474.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,188

Looking good!

Hypertech Speedo Help

FYI - When I added the bigger tires, it affected my speedometer. It was reading roughly 5mph slow. After researching this online, I bought the Hypertech Max Energy Power Programmer kit off Ebay to fix the problem. I found it there for $269. It included a disc, instructions & all the cables needed. I did have to update it online with current software. It was easy to install & took about 10mins to re-program the computer in the truck.

It then worked like a charm. After setting the new tire size, it not only corrected my speedometer reading but it also "energy tuned" the engine. It seems more perky now and it has improved my gas mileage. I am happy that I am getting a solid 20mpg at highway speeds now.
I would highly recommend the Hypertech Programmer.

It works,used the same one on my 08 to correct the speedo.

I have the same set up on my '07 sport trac. I do like the increased ride height, and like the look of the 255/70 r18 tires. I went with Nitto Crossteks. They have a nice off-road tread pattern that looks pretty awesome, and there is no annoying road noise. I couldn't be happier with them. I also installed 2" wheel spacers to widen the stance. I had to do some minor trimming of the plastic fender wells to avoid the rubbing, but it wasn't a big deal.

Just a follow up. When I was researching using this product a lot of others suggested using this lift would cause premature ball joint & alignment issues. Wrong!

I am here to say that in the last 1-1/2 years I have driven over 45,000 miles with the Truxxx 2" leveling kit installed. I have experianced no excessive wear of any front end parts. I rotate my tires every 5000-6000 miles and have done front end alignments every 6 months or so. Tires show hardly any wear. The truck now has over 140,000 miles and still steers & handles great.

I have the feeling mine has the Truxxx leveling kit installed - I can feel 'between' the top cup and the body. Here is a pic in the front. My current tires are 265/65-18. I'm considering dropping them to 255/60-18. You can see the top of the cup for the spring...

frontstrut.JPG

Just a follow up. When I was researching using this product a lot of others suggested using this lift would cause premature ball joint & alignment issues. Wrong!

I am here to say that in the last 1-1/2 years I have driven over 45,000 miles with the Truxxx 2" leveling kit installed. I have experianced no excessive wear of any front end parts. I rotate my tires every 5000-6000 miles and have done front end alignments every 6 months or so. Tires show hardly any wear. The truck now has over 140,000 miles and still steers & handles great.

SSCochrane, I appreciate your postings and have just about settled on using your same setup.... Wanted to ask, when you first added the P255 tires, did you stay with your stock rims? ... I may upgrade my rims from stock and wondered what size and offset your were?

Ok, I have a 2007 Sport Trac Limited V8 4x4.

The stock tires look too small, so I wanted bigger tires. I installed P255 / 70 / R18 Firestone Destination AT tires. With those tires, I had some rubbing on the plastic wheel well when turning and going over bumps.

When I looked for information of adding a lift on here, there seemed to be a lot of confusion between the Explorer and Sport Trac suspensions. I couldn't find any clear facts. Some web sites listed fitment for both, others just the Explorer.

On the Truxxx website, they said the leveling kit with the same part number, #102010 , fits both. I called them to verify and they said yes they are both the same.

I then called Rancho and was able to talk to a knowledgeable person there. They told me that both vehicles did have the same mounting points.

I was looking at using the Quicklift or RS 5000 struts from Rancho. I did see on here that some people said by using the Quicklift they felt it wore out the ball joints & other parts prematurely or they needed to change the upper arms.

I decided to go with the Truxxx leveling kit & new Rancho shocks. I found the Truxxx leveling kit on Ebay for $200. Pep Boys had a sale on the Rancho shocks and 1/2 off price for installation.
I installed Rancho RS 5000 Struts. Rear - RS5754 & Front - RS5753.

After a little discussion I convinced Pep Boys that since they had to remove the struts & springs anyway to install the new shocks, it would be an easy install. They didn't charge me anything extra to install the lift kit. (Other shops I called would not install any suspension altering equipment)

The Truxxx information included detailed installation directions & new Alignment specs which were dead on.

The bigger tires did cause an issue that I wasn't expecting with my speedometer. It now is off about 5MPH. I have ordered a kit to adjust the computer with the correct tire size which I am told will cure that.

Overall I am very happy with the whole setup. It raised the truck roughly 3"-4" providing plenty of clearance. It does rides a little rougher with the stiffer off-road shocks and heavier tires. Feels like a true 4x4, not a tweener. On the highway it cruises, handles & rides very smooth. Wife isn't as happy because she has to hop up into the truck now.
:)
After you put the lift on with the stock wheels did you have any rubbing anymore? Or did you need to get a offset?

Back