TSB drainback hole/cutback supply mods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TSB drainback hole/cutback supply mods

PaTraxx00

Reaction score
City, State
Jupiter Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLS OHV 2WD
Does anyone have any info on the TSB to enlarge the drainback hole and cut back supply on the bell housing, pump and probably the seperator plate for a 5r55e. It was mentioned in the Frankentranny thread written by Brain but no resizing info. I have my tranny out and apart so I would like to do it while I have the chance. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can drill between .250-.3125. 1/4 to 5/16 just check plate and stator holes to make sure they are the size you choose.

nice thank you. So all together there are 3 pieces I will be drilling? The pump the plate and the bell housing. There doesn't look like enough room to make a 1/4" hole in the housing without hitting the brass bushing.

How far forward is the bushing in the housing? Should be just proud of the floor of this notch or just a tic below. If more than that it has moved or was installed incorrect.
IMG_3359.JPG

Thanks again. I got a 5/16 hole in it. The angle of the hole just made it hard to judge my clearance. The hole in the plate was already 5/16. The frankentranny thread mentioned about widening the gap in the cutback supply just above your circle. I have a dremel and the stones to do it. Any thoughts on this?

I really can't comment on that other than I have never performed that on this transmission. Just not certain what you would gain. Would like to know the theory behind this modification. Good luck with your transmission!

Back