Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

TTB Terror build

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by Explorer23, October 13, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 Explorer
      Gotcha, like I said a lot of the parts on the 94 aren't usable in their original function or can be used but need fixed. For example I popped a small hole in the diff when I jumped it, steering box leaks, steering pump is ready to seize,rear lift gate never lined up and leaked so i took it off and broke 3 of the 3 bots holding it on in the process, the door panels have fallen off, windshield chipped etc etc.

I will use it for my core exchange when I get the beams cut and turned, an extra 8.8 laying around never hurts, and I would like to have a set of "race doors" that are skinned with lexan that I can put on in the summer. Other than that I may just take everything I don't use and scrap it or use the body as a crush car for the 92.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jprentice94

jprentice94 Active Member

City, State:
      oroville ca
      91 sas explorer
      So do you want a lifted ttb or normal height

4. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Lifted via cut and turn.

5. Juggernaut31

Juggernaut31 Active Member

City, State:
      Tallahassee Florida
      Now an 01 Explorer Sport
      Man looking at those rear shackles, i have it so easy. i just fabbed a set for my 2nd gen. and the ones i took off my 97, look as new as they did from the factory, well except for a little dust. not so much as a single spot of surface rust, or paint chip. lol

6. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Good to hear! Your post reminded me, I need to post a pic of the SOA on the "beast". It was interesting to say the least. Not quite booty fab but a what were they thinking moment.

7. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Finally!

Ok guys, Rome wasn't built in a day. I just got done with the golf cart lift and its taken me exactly 2 months. heres a quick low down.
      The day I got it home.
      [​IMG]

Simple SOA rear
      [​IMG]

Bumper
      [​IMG]

Final mock up
      [​IMG]

8. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Last but not least
      [​IMG]

The finished product. I never connected the shocks because they were very damaged and gave the front end 1 inch of travel. I still have yet to test it because the owner never replaced the tie rod that got it parked in the first place. Oh yeah this isnt mine by the way, just a favor for a friend.

I spent yesterday cleaning up the garage and reorganizing. This week I'll be fixing my welding table and getting a plan together for winter storage/projects. Garage space is surprisingly limited at the moment. :(

9. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      I forgot to post this. The rear SOA on my 94.
      [​IMG]
      Not sure if those are the stock U-bolts, original spring plate got reused, no biggie, and the spring perches were cut off and relocated but the welds look good and perches were not mutilated in the process. Overall not how I would do it but nothing dangerous. BUT, the shock was mounted to the shock plate, fully compressed. I changed that very shortly after I got it running. The guy I bought it off of complained that it had no power and a horrible ride. Thats what happens when you have 1.5in of rear travel and try to run 35" tires on stock 3.27 gears.

10. jprentice94

City, State:
      oroville ca
      91 sas explorer
      Thats a sweet golf cart if you could fiberglass i would a raptor front end

11. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      They do make front end conversions but they cost 1000+. Not worth it on an off-road cart haha

12. jprentice94

City, State:
      oroville ca
      91 sas explorer
      O i ment make one didnt know you could buy one

13. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Not a ton of updates as of late, it's getting a little too cold out for my taste and I just got done getting my new winter tires and rims on my tacoma. Although I did get my old laptop working which has suspension design software on it so I'll see if I can get all my steering geometry figured out before I have to fab it. I'm getting a lot of overtime at work as well right now so the plan for the winter is to save as much money as possible then hit it hard in the spring.

14. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      The weather is warming up and it's about time for an update. I decided this year I will be tackling the transmission and engine. I hope to have them both completed by the fall, before I have to put it away for winter again. This winter the temperatures were frequently below 0 and that meant that I got very little done other than getting the fenders off to make it a little easier to work around.
      I was also talking to a fellow member about steering and suspension. Turns out he has a friend that owns a 4x4 shop in Idaho. SO MAYBE if I save my pennies I'll be able to do something wild with the front end that I have never seen on an explorer. I won't let the cat out of the bag yet in case I change my mind again.

15. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Enough rust and golf cart crap! Let the REAL progress start!

Last pic before it went under the knife for good:[​IMG]

After a LOOONG cold winter, I decided its time to start tearing things apart! Gotta get to the engine and transmission so these had to come out

[​IMG]
      Here you can see the torn up core support. Unbeknownst to me it had a run in with a deer and a hasty repair.

[​IMG]

ANNNND IT'S GONE!

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if it's already been posted but I had trouble finding info on removing it.However it's not difficult at all just mark the wires and screws and then drill the spot welds out.

16. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      I began toying with the idea of blue wires and hoses, I think i like it.
      [​IMG]

It should look good when matched with blue coilovers and a paintjob similar to this. [​IMG]
      The color is "New ford blue" tractor paint. I'm thinking about using it for the body, tough, rust resistant, and cheap.

I got bored saving my money so I went back out and started on the interior. nothing new to me here just therepudic dissassembly, with one rust surpise. the rest was spotless.
      [​IMG]

I also clearanced the inner wheel wells in preparation for larger tires and made the mistake of trying to seam weld it back up. The seam on the fenderwell itself was no big deal but when I got down to the firewall, lets just say I blew through and it lived up to it's name. I managed to get the insulatuion on the driver side to catch and didnt notice for a bit. I looked up in the windshiled and saw pure smoke, opended the door to find smoke pouring out the vents flames under the dash and thought for sure this was a 911 moment. Thankfully I had a fire extinguisher in the garage and got to it before it melted the main wiring harness. The flames only appear to have got 1 ground, and it charred 1 unused (I hope) plug, and one wire in the braid that runs to the rear. [​IMG]

I have to write first alert, I thought there was no way the little extinguisher I had would save it but it put a solid 1/4" of dust in the driver floorboard, covered the rest of the floorboards all in a 1 second burst. :eek:
      [​IMG]

17. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      For now the front end body work on the inner fenders is done. So I moved to the rear. Now up to this point I havent mentioned the overall plan, I'm still going with coilovers and go fast goodies but I will not be keeping the dana 35 when its all done. ;) SO I'm going to put a dana 44 under there. Now I know what you're saying this is the TTB Terror not sexy sas! Well you're right, Its getting the dana44 TTB more to come on that later. However with all that said I will be going full width rear as well so fiberglass fenders are now a must.

I always said if I was going to run them I would keep them weather proof, removable, and not keep the factory wheel wells under them. So in order to do this I had to make some custom "inner fenders" on the rear. I pictured it like a pickup with the bed skins off, this way I can remove the fenders and door skins, still be weather proof and not worry about the fenders on the trail. I would like to build a carrier in the back to hold the front/rear fenders and door skins when not in use but I'll have to see how much buldge is needed to cover the f-150 axle. If I'm going to have to run 7in rears and 6in fronts it might get tight? :dunno:
      So off it comes!
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I started to fill it back in finally...
      [​IMG]

I just got that piece tacked in before I decided I should drop the tank to prevent using my last extinguisher. :fire: :hammer:
      I am pretty proud that I dropped 2 tanks in 3 hours. Got the one out of my 94 for the new fuel pump, and dropped the 92 (one I'm working on). Not sure if I want to try to swap tanks completely or see if I can pull the pump out of the 92 without damaging the lockring :dunno:

18. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Last but not least I got this baby in the mail!
      [​IMG]
      :burnout:
      Got a few other goodies but pics of parts are no fun unless they're installed. Now I'm trying to save up for the engine related stuff, but I will try to update more often now that I have the body I need to start working on, and hopefully the drivetrain will be finished by fall. :salute:

19. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Got the inner fenders all burnt in, and I am LESS than thrilled with the results. I didnt realize until I started burning through how thin the facotry sheet metal is. I'm pretty sure what I am replacing it with is around 14 gauge, but didnt pull out the calipers to check. The middle piece I tried to weld lapping behind the sheet metal but I got a much better result lapping the 14ga on top if the sheet metal.
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]
      The welds are ugly I know but the only concern I have is filling the 1/4" dent that formed at the top corner of the front piece. It may be too deep for normal bondo but I'm not sure. As for strength theese are beefy, and can withstand a good hit from a sledge hammer, plus they will get covered so I'm not too worried about getting them perfect. Just not really sure if I like the 14 gauge being so thick compared to the rest.

If I can cover it properly I may not feel as bad about it. The other side shouldn't be as bad since I don't have to work out all the bugs and work around the filler cap. The 14ga just seems too thick, but on the other hand it was free and I need all the weight I can get back there.

20. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      I'm still working on this project slowly but surely. I wanted to wait until I got one thing totally finished before posting again, but i keep forgetting the whole truck will never be "finished".

I wasn't really pleased with the little welds I was getting from the inside and the poor strength. As a result I cut and bent some pieces to weld on the outside for strength. I wasn't too worried about looks because everything under the window will be covered by fiberglass. This was more so I could learn body work and how to keep sheet metal from warping with heat... It warped pretty bad by the time it was cool.
      [​IMG]

The overall before any paint or filler.
      [​IMG]

This was after my first attempt at filler and primer, I didn't like it so I will eventually go back and re-sand and prime.
      [​IMG]

21. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Blurry but, undercoated the new inner fender.
      [​IMG]

The unfinished product.
      [​IMG]

While all this body work was going on I was saving up to go ahead with the suspension and axle modifications.

Found an entire front and rear axle off an 84-85 (manufacture date 9-84) bronco.
      [​IMG]

It's older than I wanted to go but this was the only that I could find around that had rear and a COMPLETE front. Maybe I should have asked for an F-150 instead of Bronco axles, but It all worked out because...
      [​IMG]
      I got a 9in rear.

22. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      I basically had my 8.8 built in my head so I was thrown for a loop when I saw the 9in at the junk yard. They never told me the year of bronco until I finally asked so that required a little bit of a rethink on my part. At least it is a common rear, I just have to learn how to convert the driveshaft. (Any help out there :dunno:)

Unloading the axles, just thought thy made some really cool yard art all tangled up like that.
      [​IMG]

I always forget to take the important pictures but the coil retainers were rusted beyond repair so, I bent them up got the coils off and took a grinder to the remaining bolt or so I thought. Turns out it's a stud that goes down to the radius arm mount and threads through there. (I am positive someone on here can explain it better than that. I'm just at a loss without pictures to explain) Point is I am stuck with a stud rusted in place holding on the radius arm. I tried a pipe wrench and a few other methods before I manned up and welded a nut on the end.
      [​IMG]

First time doing that and it worked like a charm. Just welded it really hot, let it cool, and then heated the surrounding area. Best part, it worked on both sides.
      [​IMG]

Lucky for me the radius arm nuts were included and the same size as the radius arm retaining bolts.

23. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      With all that going on I took a few days off work for other reasons but the plans fell through and I ended up getting rocker panels made. I simply took 3x3x1/8 square tube and cut it into a channel. Then cut 3 evenly spaced drain holes and it fit perfectly over where the old rocker was. Welded it up and looks great for now. I may have to fill some of the bigger gaps with body filler and make a few gussets to weld on the back side for strength.
      [​IMG]

That apparently is the only picture of them I have, before I cut the drain holes in. You can see the other one cut laying on the ground behind the axle. I'll get more pictures when I make the gussets for the back side. That front axle made for a great cutting table by the way.
      As for the unseen new progress, I started to make my inner fenders on the passenger side, modded the fuel filler surround to look better with my new fender modifications, and the one I'm most excited about, got the conversion brackets and radius arms on order! More pics to follow.

24. ianyboy

ianyboy New Member

City, State:
      Quebec City, Quebec
      2011 Ford Ranger FX4
      That a nice build thread, Ill be keeping track

25. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      I decided to post up some full body shots since I haven't done that since it was stock.[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

26. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      As promised here is a picture of the rocker I made...[​IMG]

And just for giggles this weeks project has been tearing the remains of mice from my blower motor. To bad I thought they were further down in than they actually were. It's pretty apparent from this process that I'm new to things like automotive heating systems and under-dash tech. Case in point...
      [​IMG]

It didn't take me long before I realized I could have loosened the 3 screws on the blower to remove everything from the front but, it did help being able to get at it from the front and top because it looked like someone stuffed a quilt down in there and the smell was just horrible.
      This is after I got a majority of the nest out, the little guy and his friend. There was still a lot of cleanup left to do in all the crevices at this point but I took care of that.
      [​IMG]
      Now in order to disinfect the area I used generous amounts of brake cleaner and then on to degreaser, even cleaned the tray under the heater core an nothing worked. Until I remembered what every teenage boy uses to mask odor AXE body spray! I pulled out my half can leftover from 2007 and emptied the bad boy in there. I'll give it a few days to air out but it worked for now. My main concern was mice feces hitting me in the face when I first turn on the vents, I think I have done all I can for now to prevent that.