Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Tuning my 347 with rear mount turbo

Discussion in 'EEC V' started by Dono, January 29, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 Limited V8
      I'm getting closer. I still get an exhaust smell in the truck with the roof open sometimes, but my eye's don't burn and water anymore. That's a good thing. I can work on slight modifications of exhaust pipe placement and see what works better.

Tim came by last weekend, and showed off without even knowing it. As he was leaving, he jumped in his truck, and it started right up. Imagine that? I was/probably am still struggling with that. I was ready to try different injectors, thinking I must have one leaking.

I found that playing with the cold start fuel table really makes a difference on where the crank fuel pulse width needs to be. Makes sense, screw with one thing and you throw other things off. Laws of nature. I hope I finally nailed it though. Today it actually started every time without having to touch the gas. For whatever reason, my combination is way more finicky about starting (or adjusting for starting) than I think is normal so a vehicle that has had the crap modified out of it.

Anyway, I just might have found the magic. I'm actually pretty excited about it. One of my goals has been to make this truck completely drive-able with no quirks (other than the fact it has a unmistakable sound to it, in the cab it sounds pretty quiet).

I'm still playing with timing as I want to just see the J&S sensor activating slightly when I lean on the gas. This tells me that its probably only modifying the timing on a couple of cylinders, which means best power. Pulls super hard from 3000rpm and up.
      I have no warning from the sensor at all below 3000 rpm, so I'm slowly adding at 2500 and 3000rpm (under load with at least 0 vacuum so the brain is turned on). This tells me to add timing slowly. Its a process as I'm trying to get as close to the raggedy edge as possible.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      for what ever reason, we have opposite problems. yours is warm start. mine is cold start. i have a slight surge when its cold for about the first min or so. think i am going to have to live with it.

4. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Here's my first thought, but it would probably only affect the first 15 seconds.

upload_2017-9-1_11-57-59.png

I know your idle integrator is set correctly, so that's not it.
      Maybe the base fuel table cold is adding too much, or too little fuel from 70 to 100 degrees at low (idle) load? We would have to play around with it and see if anything makes a difference.

upload_2017-9-1_12-0-54.png