Turning car off with wipers on.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turning car off with wipers on....

now that this annoying issue is pointed out I think I will sell the vehicle, this is an outrage!!!. Some people shut their wipers off on the windshield and lift them up when it freezes so they don't stick to the window :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

now that this annoying issue is pointed out I think I will sell the vehicle, this is an outrage!!!. Some people shut their wipers off on the windshield and lift them up when it freezes so they don't stick to the window :eek:

Back to my RX350 reference, it's a non issue with those vehicles as the manufacturer also designed in windshield wiper de-icer.
How a vehicle manufacturer from NA (especially in Canada) can't think of it this ; is mind boggling?

Back to my RX350 reference, it's a non issue with those vehicles as the manufacturer also designed in windshield wiper de-icer.
How a vehicle manufacturer from NA (especially in Canada) can't think of it this ; is mind boggling?
That feature doesn't prevent the wiper from getting stuck to the window when parked during freezing rain conditions. If I recall correctly only the metal arm is heated and not the blade and it takes time to heat it up. I had that feature on the Highlanders I had.

Peter

those de icers take time and cost money also, easier to flip up wipers and place sunshield etc on outside of window the night before if parked outside, who knows what Ford was thinking when they decided. I've never really seen those heated gizmos be really effective. There are vehicle that have heated glass where the wipers rest also but they take quite some time to work.

Yeah. Ideally in a perfect world, these cars would have heated mirrors and heated windshields (though those tend to be mutually exclusive of HUD). The remote start is pretty nice though. Just feels like Ford only went half way on this. My Sport has a heated steering wheel, remote start -- but no heated mirrors which I find absolutely boggling, and no auto-park wipers, which is annoying mostly because I have to reprogram my reptile brain to turn off the wipers before I turn off the car.

We go skiing a lot in the winter, and we always lift the wipers blades up so they don't freeze to the car -- warm car entering frozen snowy conditions generally not good for wiper blades.

But hey, I'm not complaining too much. These are the first world sacrifices I made when I chose to buy a Ford Explorer over a Audi Q7 -- and managed to save $30k in the process. Fair tradeoff.

Aren't the front & rear wipers supposed to park when you turn off the car?

Right now I hit the push button to turn off the car. The wipers stop right where they are -- both front and back. This seems unusual. Maybe I messed something up when I installed my dashcam?

I've got a 2017 Explorer Sport, so it's new.

My 2016 Explorer XLT, 2012 Fusion SE, 2010 F-150 XLT, 2001 Grand Marquis LS, and 94 E-350 Motorhome all do this. Normal for a Ford, I suppose?

Yeah. Ideally in a perfect world, these cars would have heated mirrors and heated windshields (though those tend to be mutually exclusive of HUD). The remote start is pretty nice though. Just feels like Ford only went half way on this. My Sport has a heated steering wheel, remote start -- but no heated mirrors which I find absolutely boggling, and no auto-park wipers, which is annoying mostly because I have to reprogram my reptile brain to turn off the wipers before I turn off the car.

We go skiing a lot in the winter, and we always lift the wipers blades up so they don't freeze to the car -- warm car entering frozen snowy conditions generally not good for wiper blades.

But hey, I'm not complaining too much. These are the first world sacrifices I made when I chose to buy a Ford Explorer over a Audi Q7 -- and managed to save $30k in the process. Fair tradeoff.
Aren't the front & rear wipers supposed to park when you turn off the car?

Your Sport doesn't have heated mirrors? My XLT 202a has them, they come on when you turn on the rear window defrost.

Your Sport doesn't have heated mirrors? My XLT 202a has them, they come on when you turn on the rear window defrost.
Wow, who knew! https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/safety/heated-mirrors.html

Just assumed I didn't have them, but apparently I do. Awhile back, I turned on all the defrosting at one point, and it didn't seem to defog them for me. But apparently if you have auto-dimming (which I do), it takes longer due to thicker glass. I guess I'll have to pay attention more. It would have been weird not having them given everything else that comes with the car.

Wow, who knew! https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/safety/heated-mirrors.html

Just assumed I didn't have them, but apparently I do. Awhile back, I turned on all the defrosting at one point, and it didn't seem to defog them for me. But apparently if you have auto-dimming (which I do), it takes longer due to thicker glass. I guess I'll have to pay attention more. It would have been weird not having them given everything else that comes with the car.
It's also in the Manual.;)

Back