• Register Today It's free!

Turning your sport 4wd to 2wd

kimble18

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Coming up here I will be lowering and doing the sts universal turbo system.
As the title suggests I have a 4wd drive but am looking into converting to 2wd.
Has anyone done this or know what is needed to do this?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive been looking around the junkyards for the exact opposite swap. 2wd to 4wd.
Looking at the difference between the 2wd and the 4wd. The 4wd has a spindle with a hub style bearing and a spot where the front CV joint goes through. The 2wd has a Bearing and race style front spindle without any allocations for a cv joint.

Parts i know you will need:

Front Spindles off a 2wd.
Rear tailshaft of transmission or possibly replace trans with a 2wd.
Rear Driveline 2wd.

mustang 4.6 + 5 speed trans custom driveshaft and front running gear from 2wd.
and BAM awesome grocery getter

you could just install a locking hub on the front end to disconnect the live axle, so your always be in 2wd, then just pull the drive shaft and other unnecessary parts. and leave the tcase to avoid the new tranny.

what year of truck are you working with?

mines 02 gen 3 was told its as easy as removing front t/shaft and fuse

1999 Explorer Sport 2WD

Hello,

I will swap you for my 2WD...it's fully loaded and in perfect shape. (no dents or rust) It comes with a new transmission and not a rebuilt. I was wanting to convert it into a 4WD but getting one that is already 4WD seems much easier. Engine compartment still looks new!

need to know how to convert a 4wd explorer sport to a 2wd.
what do i do? what do i need. please help. also... is it the same for a 4door?

Basically i have an explorer 4door 4wd automatic 4.0 sohc and what i want is a sport 2wd manual trans 4.0 sohc w/ a good rear end that wont fry if you do a burnout.

i can buy a sport but im not finding a 2wd manual 4.0 sohc. its hard 2 find all of that together.
so what do i really need? can i get a sport 4x4 manual trans 4.0 sohc and just pull out the 4x4?

HELP!!!!!

i might spend 8 grand on that 4.3 stroker too. but i need 2 kno what the costs of other things will be such as 4x4 to 2wd cost, strong rear end 3.73 or 4.10. what explorer sport can i buy to make this happen?

oh and its a 98

need to know how to convert a 4wd explorer sport to a 2wd.
what do i do? what do i need. please help. also... is it the same for a 4door?

Basically i have an explorer 4door 4wd automatic 4.0 sohc and what i want is a sport 2wd manual trans 4.0 sohc w/ a good rear end that wont fry if you do a burnout.

i can buy a sport but im not finding a 2wd manual 4.0 sohc. its hard 2 find all of that together.
so what do i really need? can i get a sport 4x4 manual trans 4.0 sohc and just pull out the 4x4?

HELP!!!!!

i might spend 8 grand on that 4.3 stroker too. but i need 2 kno what the costs of other things will be such as 4x4 to 2wd cost, strong rear end 3.73 or 4.10. what explorer sport can i buy to make this happen?

That's a hard combo to find. I'm working on turning my sport into a 4x4, and its not an easy task. Since you want a Sport, I suggest finding a two wheel drive sport. If it comes with a sohc it will probably have an auto tranny. Good luck finding one that's already a stick. Do a search for 5 speed swap. Its been done lots of times so that's doable.
And the stock 8.8 is a pretty solid rear end. Mustang guys put a lot of power to the ground with them. Check out some mustang forums and see what they're doing.
And in my opinion your gonna spend as much money swapping drivetrains as you would buying another explorer.

Hello,

I will swap you for my 2WD...it's fully loaded and in perfect shape. (no dents or rust) It comes with a new transmission and not a rebuilt. I was wanting to convert it into a 4WD but getting one that is already 4WD seems much easier. Engine compartment still looks new! 4.0 sohc

Yes its an Automatic but putting in a stick is easy enough

Hello,

I will swap you for my 2WD...it's fully loaded and in perfect shape. (no dents or rust) It comes with a new transmission and not a rebuilt. I was wanting to convert it into a 4WD but getting one that is already 4WD seems much easier. Engine compartment still looks new! 4.0 sohc

Yes its an Automatic but putting in a stick is easy enough

how many miles?
mine has a new motor

post pics as well...
i already have a bunch done to the x but i might consider a swap...

Back