Two Ball joints..... done in under 2 hours | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Two Ball joints..... done in under 2 hours

SWIGIN

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
79 Bronco , 98 Explorer
First off, I did not have time for pictures so sorry.

I pulled into my driveway at 4pm just like any other day and hit the garage opener and just pulled right front tire inside enough to get the jack under the jacking hook thing. I turn on my air compressor and jack the right side up and pull the tire and brake parts off.

Now here is where I'm entering new territory since that was the deepest I have ever torn my 98 apart so far. I have searched for ball joint threads on here and I think most guys remove the hub or unit bearing but I decided that I am not unless I have too.

Well turns out that you don't have too. I removed the axle nut and upper ball joint nuts/bolts so the only thing holding the spindle to the EX was the outer tie rod and the lower ball joint. I did get the ABS cable lose from it's plastic clamp things for breathing room but that was it for that.

Then I removed the upper ball joint from the spindle and removed the spindle from the lower ball joint. Which was easier said then done, I had to use my little plumbers torch on the spindle to get it to pop off the lower joint.

I always leave the nut on the ball joint so parts don't fall so I removed the lower joints nut and with an outward lean while pushing in on the axle it came right off.

I took the axle and rested it on the front sway bar end link while I removed the lower joint with my press. I know guys rent them but a good ball joint removal kit should be in everyone's garage. The spindle (with the hub still attached) now only held on by the tierod never once got in my way or even moved.

Once the new lower joint was in and ready to go I pulled the threaded stud of the joint outward and the spindle went right on. The axle will start into the hub right before the lower joint but it went together faster then it came apart.

Then just install the new upper joint (factory style) and throw the brakes back on and the wheel. I even checked and added air to all my tires while the hose was out and put all the tools away and washed up before going into the house.

It was 5:56, so maybe like one hour and 45 minutes!

Anyway I just wanted to post that you can leave the spindle together with the hub and tie rod end attached and still do a ball joint.

Back