type of coolant.

davidmmm69

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
2010 Ford Explorer V6 Fall River Ma...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
getting ready to flush my system. and the book says that there are 2 types or colors of antifreeze for use with my 2002..
and says specifically DO NOT MIX...
has anyone had any experiance with this... and what have they done...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I understand it some or all of the new generation of explorers have yellor coolant which is supposed to be a 100k mile coolant. You may want to look into it more.

there are two different types you can use the old one (ethelene glycol i believe) and i cant remember the other types name, but you dont want to mix them.

i had the green stuff..

looked it up, the other one is called propylene glycol. Both are colorless but dyes are added.

Ethylene glycol is the older coolant, and is more poisonous that proplyene glycol

I dont think there is any difference as far as longevity in the two types, but rather in the brand you chose, and the additives that they put in their coolant.

i went and bought the correct stuff from ford and best thing is i bought a bunh of other parts and he never charged me for the 3 gallons of coolant.. HAHA>.

Back