U-Haul won't rent me an auto transport trailer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U-Haul won't rent me an auto transport trailer

I've got a 2006 Ranger 4x4 automatic 4.0 liter with 4.10 axle.
Specs say can tow about 5500 lbs.
I want to rent a trailer to tow a car. Car weighs 3150 lbs. Empty trailer wt is 2210 lbs. Total = 5360.
U-Haul requires the vehicle weigh at least 80% of combined wt of trailer and towed vehicle (80% of 5360 is 4288 lbs). The curb weight of my Ranger, I think, is about 4700 lbs.
Despite all that, Uhaul checked their computer and said no.
I called an independent trailer rental shop, and they also said no-- would only rent auto transport trailers for a Full Size pickup.
The guy said it would burn up my transmission and would be unsafe.

So why do the Ford specs say I can pull 5500 lbs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have hauled tons (literally) of stuff behind my x, cars, gravel, my friends junk (if u own a trailer or a pickup you know this story lol) also i understand the idea about ppl not having experience and being dumb about hauling loads, but i got a CDL class A with a million mile safe driving award, that should make a difference i would think. perhaps rent to those who have a cdl?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have enjoyed reading this tread big time
About renting to some one with a CDL well I would not rent to a few I know even a pinto let alone a trailer that will be loaded. By the way I did have a cdl also tell my health made me give it up.
I also did rent in 2003 there big enclosed trailer and towed it to Idaho and back from Calif. (1400miles) with no problems but now they will not even let you tow a little trailer all because of the roll over lie.
As far as lying to them about what you’re pulling it with well if you do that you also now have also taken on all responsibility if any thing happens including if U haul wants to go after you also. This also can in some cases make it no matter what your fault automatically and place all financial burdens on you. so in the long run cheaper to barrow a truck that can do it there way or buy your own and set it up right with brakes controlled by the driver and to pull level. Just a thought here. Also them fold up trailers with some wood side walls from HF work real good if you get the biggest one plus there easy to store that’s what I did for a time tell the ex kept it dam ex's any way good for nothing unlike the exs we drive LOL.

Why not have a hauler move it for you? Do a google search for "auto shipping" and pick a handful of companies for quote oO.

UHaul has denied me on several occasions, and this was back when I had my full size chevy truck. I "lied" a few times to rent the trailer to make weight. The heaviest I ever pulled with the chevy was my buddies full sized blazer on 36" tires, towed it from Clarksville, TN to just north of Nashville....talk about trailer sway....LOL But the truck never complained....I complained though when someone had to have her more than me. :mad:

According to the tow charts the explorer can only tow just under 3k lbs?
92 4 door 5 speed 2wd.... but I have read that it can tow up to 5k lbs.

interesting delimma

I had towed with my 91 without even knowing about their restriction. Helping a friend move out, he picked up a moving truck with trailer and before he gave up the pair I borrowed their dinky little car dolly to move a small coupe. It wasn't until I was scanning wiki one day that I found out about this nonsense.

Back