Ummmm what is this "bag" underneath my intake manifold? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ummmm what is this "bag" underneath my intake manifold?

Mine's an 04, don't have this heat shield baggy thing.

Plastic intakes, valve covers, thermostat housings, radiator end caps, etc all SUCK!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, it absolutely was the source of that smell. I removed the plenum and discarded the bag, the smell is now gone.

Its there for a good reason people, dont throw it away. If you do, issues like noise will have you asking yourself ..."Where's that noise coming from and why is the intake manifold melting. Leave it there or put it back as it was found when your done working on the fuel rail system. If you must replace it, go to the dealer and get another one. It's called a " Noise shield". Your intake manifold is hollow, allowing noise from the engine to pass through the intake and permeate into the cabin. Put it back where it belongs and be happy you dont hear engine noise.

Its there for a good reason people, dont throw it away. If you do, issues like noise will have you asking yourself ..."Where's that noise coming from and why is the intake manifold melting. Leave it there or put it back as it was found when your done working on the fuel rail system. If you must replace it, go to the dealer and get another one. It's called a " Noise shield". Your intake manifold is hollow, allowing noise from the engine to pass through the intake and permeate into the cabin. Put it back where it belongs and be happy you dont hear engine noise.
I'd like to...but dealer can't fin part number.
Said it likely comes with new intake $250+
Any idea where I can get a used one...no luck on ebay...

Don't spend money to replace that bag, there are plenty of noise reduction / heat shield products on the market... Remember, that bag was used because it was the most cost effective method, cheapest & does the job.. $0.30 for that bag vs. $5.99 for a quality product that the consumer will never see..

Keeping that bag is like restoring a '32 Deuce, repainting the exterior and leaving the interior all tattered.. Even if you are going for that rat-rod look, you're still gonna use the best product, better to suit your project, not just stuff a ziplock bagged pillow that can & WILL collect moisture..

In this world of easily offended people, I want to apologize to the bag, no ill will intended.. Haven't had my mornin cup of happiness yet..

Looking into aftermarket solution.
Thx.

I replaced my intake manifold, -- threw away that thing breaking into pieces -- used nothing in it's place, and hear no engine noise. Toss it, don't worry about it. The part is so unimportant that Ford doesn't have replacement parts for it.

I replaced my intake manifold, -- threw away that thing breaking into pieces -- used nothing in it's place, and hear no engine noise. Toss it, don't worry about it. The part is so unimportant that Ford doesn't have replacement parts for it.

Yes, dealer said it likely comes with a new intake manifold. Not available separately.
Thx for your input.

Don't think that bag has anything to do with the damp musty smell of your A/C. That would be something in your evaporative coil housing. Probably mildew, condensation, etc.
@turborich
+1. No air (containing odors) should under normal conditions be entering the A/C system airstream from under the hood. imp

Yes, dealer said it likely comes with a new intake manifold. Not available separately.

My replacement manifold is a Dorman brand, I called them about a replacement part for the 'bag' when I was doing the new part and they are the ones that told me to throw it away and it won't be missed. I said "ok".

Hey guys,

I was changing my thermostat housing on my '03 4.0 and I noticed there there was a black "plastic bag" sitting right underneath the intake manifold. When I lifted it up I could see some holes....I don't have a ton of engine experience so I have no clue what this is or if it should even be there. I can't imagine what purpose it serves....

someone has to know.....

thanks
That plastic bag is the noise suppression pillow Ford installed. Without it installed your likely to hear a louder engine rumble and it should stay there. I took mine out and looked it over and it was a bit oily so I cleaned it up along with the area it sits in plus i added a absorbant pad under the pillow for little extra help in picking up oil seepage.

That plastic bag is the noise suppression pillow Ford installed. Without it installed your likely to hear a louder engine rumble and it should stay there. I took mine out and looked it over and it was a bit oily so I cleaned it up along with the area it sits in plus i added a absorbant pad under the pillow for little extra help in picking up oil seepage.
Thx. You have to buy a new oem intake to get the foam block. Looking into aftermarket alternatives. I also think it might protect the intake from heat also.

typed "anti-rattle, heat shield" into the google search bar..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/236mil-1...8760&wl11=online&wl12=157250173&wl13=&veh=sem

I would personally do more research and compare to other similar products, but I would highly recommend against replacing the "bag" in question with ANOTHER crappy quality part

Yes, there is heat in the area, however, they put a PLASTIC bag in there.. If it hasn't melted then its only radiant heat.. Using some sort of mat material will open more space and allow the air to move around more, venting off more heat than the bag allowed.. If you already have the intake off, apply the mat to the upper and lower PLASTIC intake housings, this will cool off any heat from the engine, and reduce your intake air temps also..

typed "anti-rattle, heat shield" into the google search bar..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/236mil-1...8760&wl11=online&wl12=157250173&wl13=&veh=sem

I would personally do more research and compare to other similar products, but I would highly recommend against replacing the "bag" in question with ANOTHER crappy quality part

Yes, there is heat in the area, however, they put a PLASTIC bag in there.. If it hasn't melted then its only radiant heat.. Using some sort of mat material will open more space and allow the air to move around more, venting off more heat than the bag allowed.. If you already have the intake off, apply the mat to the upper and lower PLASTIC intake housings, this will cool off any heat from the engine, and reduce your intake air temps also..

Yes, this type of insulator seems like the only option I can see that will likely work.
Thx for the info!

If you use just the adhesive on the product it may not stay in place, I'd also ziptie or gorilla glue it in place maybe.. This is a mod I'll be doing at some point, I just don't have the intake off, and all our money is tied up in the 4-link sas.. My intake temps are the last of my worries, but I recognize that the bag is an issue, and there has to be several replacement options..

This paragraph made my night, thanks lmao

In this world of easily offended people, I want to apologize to the bag, no ill will intended.. Haven't had my mornin cup of happiness yet..

Hey guys,

I was changing my thermostat housing on my '03 4.0 and I noticed there themanifold. When I lifted it up I could see some holes....I don't have a ton of engine experience so I have no clue what this is or if it should even be there. I can'

someone has to know.....

thanksv

Back