Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Uncomfortable front seats

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2018 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by mikeb87, March 24, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. reserved50

reserved50 Well-Known Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 Sport Exploder
      I honestly think these are the worst seats I have ever sat in by at least double. Its like an awkward high chairo_O. Trying to stretch out doesn't help either, my foot gets jammed around the dead pedal.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CAtoFLin1994

CAtoFLin1994 New Member

City, State:
      Naples, Florida
      2017 Explorer Sport
      I get your question , all good. I think that most people have already made up their mind on what car they are going to buy before they ever get to the dealership. I have never not bought a car I researched after a test drive and It can be hard to determine that a seat may be uncomfortable on long drives during a 20 minute test drive. Now I did drive with my neighbors son in his Toyota Yaris sp? and within 1 minute I realized I was basically seating on plywood! Those seats I noticed right away and they were horrible. When we test drove the Explorer were playing with the stereo, commenting on how fast it was, A/C, dual sunroof etc. so we weren't entirely focusing on the seats, but they didn't seem too bad. The seats for me are good for the first hour and not so good for longer drives, but the wife says they are ok. My wife could care less about cars and didn't even care to test drive them. I have picked out 5 of her last 6 and she has loved everyone, lucky me. I really do wish she and my kids would share my passion for cars though. I don't think the Explorer seats are horrible, just not comfortable for me. One of the members was nice enough to post a link about what owners have done to their seats to add comfort. For whatever reason my particular seat seems to have a very pronounced lumbar support. I'm going to take a look and see if everything check out there. Maybe that's part of the issue as it was covered in one of the links.

Last edited: April 26, 2017
    4. reserved50

reserved50 Well-Known Member

2013 Sport Exploder
      I assumed I would get used to it, guess not. If I didn't sit in other vehicles with better seats I would say my vehicle has the best seats ever:D

5. 1stXLT

1stXLT Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Columbus, OH
      2017 XLT
      202A, Tech pkg
      I guess I agree with MartinF. I'm 5'9" and the seats in my XLT adjust to me really well. I haven't gone on any long trips but have been on several 2 to 3 hour drives with no discomfort. Not sure it is relevant but it seems this thread has more sport and platinum trim owners than xlt. Just wondering if the perforated and/or cooled seats have less or more poorly placed padding vs just heated non-perf seats?

6. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
      Fresno, CA
      2017 Platinum
      I'm just over 6', and my Wife is a bit over 5'8". We've had vehicles with deeper seats, but our 2017 Platinum's seats are more comfortable. For us the deeper seats start cutting off leg circulation on longer drives..

Last edited by a moderator: April 27, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
    7. clm65

clm65 New Member

2017 Explorer Limited
      We are looking at a 2017 Explorer Limited, and just took a test drive on Saturday. We also drove a new 2016 Edge Titanium that they were really pushing to get rid of. The Edge definitely had more comfortable seats, as I could really feel the lumbar support pushing into my back in the Explorer. I figured it just needed to be adjusted, but every time I tried to adjust it the massage feature came on. When the massage was working, I could feel the lumbar support "retreat" into the seat, and the seat felt more comfortable. But whenever I turned off the massage, the seat went back to its uncomfortable configuration. I figured I just needed to learn how to work the controls properly. After reading this thread, it sounds like that is the best it is going to be without some type of modification. Glad I found this thread!

8. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      I had an epiphany regarding seat comfort. I've had my 2017 Explorer for nine months now and I literally just discovered an additional adjustment that can make the seats feel really weird. I'm aware of all the obvious controls such as height, how far back, angle of seat, lumbar strength... but that was pretty much it. Yesterday I discovered that you can independently control the height of the front of the seat. And yeah, raised it all the way up, while the back was all the way down, and with a fairly upright seat angle. I felt like I was sandwiched and felt pressure on my hamstrings near my knees. I'm 6'2". It's not an obvious control and it's possible some people might not realize it either.

I have a Sport model if that matters. For what it's worth, I like the front part of the seat slightly up, feels more snug.. but if I was on a long road trip, I could ease it down if it started to feel uncomfortable. Hope this helps someone :)

9. DeLeSaAZ

DeLeSaAZ Beasley, the chauffeur of my previous Edge. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Queen Creek, AZ
      2016 Explorer Limited
      I see someone didn't read their Owners Manual after buying their car :) That's funny! I don't suppose that many people, when they see "10-way Power Seats", actually sit there and find all 10 ways! Since I have a really bad back, the seat position is super-incredibly critical, and I'm one who will actually sit there and "up, down, forward, back, front tilt, back tilt, raise, lower, recline, raise" (that's 10), and mess with the lumbar support, then play with the pedal positions and the telescoping/tilt steering wheel - and finally, the mirrors, until I get it just exactly right. And then a few weeks later, decide that something's off and redo the entire process! I honestly love the auto-telescoping wheel and that the seat backs up with the car off for easier exiting/entering. I just wish they had it so anytime you open the front door that the seat will back up and then, closing the door, it will move forward, as I leave the car running a lot (double honk - AAAHHHH!) for quick runs into a store while the dog remains in the car, and, with the seat forward and the wheel telescoped out a bit, it can be hard to slide out, especially if a car is next to you and you can't open the door far.

10. clm65

clm65 New Member

2017 Explorer Limited
      Let's see...you list "raise" twice. And you have "up" and "raise", and "down" and "lower". So I think you only have 7 :D.

Full disclosure, I have not read the manual either. So maybe those really are 10 :confused2:.

11. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      It is a bit confusing, but good. There's really more of a "front raise/lower" and a "general raise/lower". It's the front part I don't think many people know about.

For what it's worth, at 6'2", I find the seats very comfortable. But I can see some people getting tripped up if the front part is raised to maximum, causing the seats to be uncomfortable no matter what else you do... you know in a test drive situation.

12. Odrapnew

Odrapnew Active Member

City, State:
      MN
      2014 Explorer Sport
      Can't forget the seat back.
      Here's what I get for 10 ways.

Seat back tilt: Forward / Backward
      Seat Bottom: Forward / Backward / Back(Up and Down) / Front(Up and Down)
      Lumbar: In / Out

The way I see it, it's actually a 5 way adjustable, but each "way" has 2 directions.

13. chris1973s

chris1973s New Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      2016 Explorer Limited AWD
      I have 2016 Limited and absolutely can't stand the front seats. When the temps drop the leather gets harder and those narrow seats with high bolsters are a bitch. If you like to spread your legs while driving the bolster will dig into your leg in about 1 hr of driving making it hell. Why do these designers think SUV owners want sport car seats with high bolsters is a question. I tried seats in a 15 explorer sport and they are much more comfortable as the bolsters are not that high. I see lots of people are complaining about them, damn shame as i love the truck. Anyway, i'm taking mine to a local upholster who will take out the seat and shave off the bolster making it flat. This should help a ton, all for a few hundred bucks. We'll see how they turn out.

14. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Hey Chris. While I haven't been on any long trips I can say that I've become used to the seats after finding them somewhat uncomfortable at first. Found the seat cushion a bit short.

Please add the now required "Trim Level" (Limited) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be useful info to have a times. Thank you.

Peter

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. rok8man

rok8man New Member

City, State:
      Frisco, TX
      2017 Explorer LTD
      I found the Explorer seats very comfortable. I went on a 5K 5 state road trip with my 2015 Explorer and I did an average of 7 hours driving every day and it didnt hurt my back at all. I was very comfortable and at the end of the day I felt great.

16. chris1973s

chris1973s New Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      That's just it, 2015 had completely different seats. I wish and wonder if I could swap 16 for 15.

17. chris1973s

chris1973s New Member

City, State:
      Chicago

Done, Thanks

18. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Litchfield Park, AZ area...
      2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
      I also find my seats overall comfortable for sure, but I will say the seat bottom is a little short and could be longer. Our other car does not have an adjustable lumbar support and really felt it on our 1,300 mile road trip and was nice to get back in the Explorer and feel that support.

19. whimsey

whimsey New Member

City, State:
      sparta, nj
      2017 XLT
      I'm very picky about seat comfort, especially for long drives. We went on a 3,600 mile trip this passed June in our 2017 XLT with the 2.3 and I have to say the seats were "almost" super, if the seat bottom was a bit longer they would have been super. As it was they were really comfortable for being in the seat for hours at a time, no back or butt fatigue.

Whimsey

• Like Like x 1
    20. rok8man

rok8man New Member

City, State:
      Frisco, TX
      2017 Explorer LTD
      I am 5'7" so the seats feel perfect for me. I think the leather seats have more support than the cloth seats. I had a 17 loaner XLT while my new Explorer was being delivered and it had cloth seats and it felt weird. Didnt feel as supportive. My wife was also complaining about it as well after getting used to the 15 leather seats. Then I showed the wife the massage feature in the new car and now she doesnt want to leave the car :D

21. Halford1

Halford1 Member

City, State:
      California
      2014 Ford Explorer XLT
      When I bought the 2014 Explorer, I specifically looked for cloth seats. I cannot stand leather since I have to peel myself off it every time I get off. I put seat cushion (mesh support for back and beads for butt/legs) to increase air circulation and don't have any problems.