Under dash LED lighting | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Under dash LED lighting

I wanted to do this for a long time, and I finally got some time last week. Very cheap only cost about $8.00 used 5 15,000 MCD 5mm Blue LEDs on each side, mounted on project boards that can be found at Radio Shack. I Highly recommend this, it gets a lot of attention and is a nice accent to any vehicle. This is practice for my chassis under glow project Im doing this spring. What do you guys think?

IMG_0101.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, So I have them all soldered to the boards and the wires all ready to go and the resitors all installed
So Now how do I make it so I have either have it when the doors are open, and when ever I want with a switch?

If that makes sense

doi.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

can anyone explain how to wire all the leds together or have pics of the wiring side of the board , i cant seem to figure it out

can anyone explain how to wire all the leds together or have pics of the wiring side of the board , i cant seem to figure it out

untitled.jpg

Hope It helps

thanks it does, did you just group all of the resistors together and connect it to the + wire?

and if i want to wire it to a switch, on the prongs of the switch do i just solder the wires to the prong and then solder from the prong to the board?

and if i want to wire it to a switch, on the prongs of the switch do i just solder the wires to the prong and then solder from the prong to the board?

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

basically im saying i dont know how to wire up the switch with the two boards

untitled-1.jpg

Just run 2 wires off of the switch. 1 goes to one board, and 1 goes to the other.

ok, does the switch need a ground wire also?

ok, does the switch need a ground wire also?

Usually no. but if the switch has a light on it, it will need a ground for the light to work.

Third Attempt haha, Good thing im dedicated

Could you possibly take a few pictures of where you tap'd into the Dome light wiring?
I looked around and couldnt really figure anything out, I tryed to wire it with a Cigarette adapter and it blew the entire circut apart the first time

So, Any pictures or diagrams, and any colored wires to use to make this work?

Thanks again!

are green leds avalible to match the green lights of the dash bord.
and is it posible to connect the power cable to one of the cables
that give power to the lights in the center consel that way
the leds can be dim and turn on when the center consel go on and night ?

Do you have any tips or diagrams for replacing lights behind the instrument panel? My son drives my 98 Ford Explorer and a bulb is out behind the gas gauge and on the spedometer at the 12 oclock position.

Third Attempt haha, Good thing im dedicated

Could you possibly take a few pictures of where you tap'd into the Dome light wiring?
I looked around and couldnt really figure anything out, I tryed to wire it with a Cigarette adapter and it blew the entire circut apart the first time

So, Any pictures or diagrams, and any colored wires to use to make this work?

Thanks again!

I never tied into the dome lights for mine so I cant get you a pic, and the diagram in post 81 is the way you need to wire your circuit. I don't know what wire you need to tie into, but I will check and see if I can find a color code for it in my haynes manual when I get home.

are green leds avalible to match the green lights of the dash bord.
and is it posible to connect the power cable to one of the cables
that give power to the lights in the center consel that way
the leds can be dim and turn on when the center consel go on and night ?

Yes, there is always a way lol.

However I will be next to no help to you figure out how to get that power since I have zero experience with 3rd Gen Explorers. I can help you with making the boards. If you have the manual heater controls I would start by taking the center console apart and see if you can find the wires that go to the lights inside the unit. On 2nd Gen Explorers there is a separate 2 pin wiring harness ( positive and negative ) for the lights.

Do you have any tips or diagrams for replacing lights behind the instrument panel? My son drives my 98 Ford Explorer and a bulb is out behind the gas gauge and on the spedometer at the 12 oclock position.

There are 6 type 194 bulbs in the instrument panel. If your going to replace the bulbs replace all of them at the same time. and use 194LL bulbs (long life).
7755_1-1.jpg

If you do a search for removing the cluster, you can find how to take apart the dash.

If you have anymore questions about this post it on this thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184306

I never tied into the dome lights for mine so I cant get you a pic, and the diagram in post 81 is the way you need to wire your circuit. I don't know what wire you need to tie into, but I will check and see if I can find a color code for it in my haynes manual when I get home.

Yes, there is always a way lol.

However I will be next to no help to you figure out how to get that power since I have zero experience with 3rd Gen Explorers. I can help you with making the boards. If you have the manual heater controls I would start by taking the center console apart and see if you can find the wires that go to the lights inside the unit. On 2nd Gen Explorers there is a separate 2 pin wiring harness ( positive and negative ) for the lights.

thanks. i will see what i can do as soon i get the leds :salute:

Right on, Also, Could you look to see if it shows the Dome light Door ajar wire?

Thanks Again

Good work on the lights man, I like it. I been putting lights under the dash of my cars for 10 years now, never used LED's before though. I just always used the 3 dollar side marker lights you get in the trailer and towing section of the part store. Pretty simple to hook up, just find a ground for each of them (I soldered a piece of wire onto the lug in the plastic housing to make it easier) and take the power wire and wire it straight into the headlights in the fuse box, so they are on with the headlights. No switches needed and I never had one burn anything up, ever. You can get them lights in red orange and blue and even purple if you hit a truckstop, and since those are the most common colors people use for accent lighting, I never had any issues. I always wondered abotu LEd's tyhough they look pretty bright in the pics, do they get distracting at all when your driving with them?? My marker lights I dont even notice anymore I'm so used to them, but everyone else does when they get in the car.

Thats a brilliant Idea, I never thought of that
The LEDs are brighter For sure tho
And if you do them yourself more customizable

Got any pictures of your lights?

Back