Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
so for those who wanted the option to upgrade, it is coming this year (not from Ford).

For a whopping $1,995.00.. I seriously doubt that they will get much business at that price especially when it is aftermarket with a 30 day warranty.

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/products/myford-touch-sync-2-to-sync-3-upgrade

Curious if it truly is plug and play, people can just source the parts from one of the discounted ford sites.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$10 coupon code "GIVEME10" Also has free shipping!!!!

As with all non-Ford upgrades for your MFT and APIM, beware that Ford doesn't have a record of your upgrade and if they push firmware updates to your vehicle, they may either brick your APIM or revert it back to it's unmodified state.

When taking your vehicle in for service, you need to be careful to avoid any complications.

$10 coupon code "GIVEME10" Also has free shipping!!!!

As with all non-Ford upgrades for your MFT and APIM, beware that Ford doesn't have a record of your upgrade and if they push firmware updates to your vehicle, they may either brick your APIM or revert it back to it's unmodified state.

When taking your vehicle in for service, you need to be careful to avoid any complications.

It won't brick your APIM. With MFT if you had NAV added a dealer upgrade of the software will wipe NAV. This goes for any post-factory upgrade. There is a way around the dealer wiping your NAV if they need to do an update and I tell my customers that should they need to have this done for any reason to have the dealer contact me.

Wow, 2 grand and only a 30 day warrantee? Want a year warantee, add another $300.

Crazy!

So if it's plug and play, why is Ford not offering this to us as an upgrade?

So if it's plug and play, why is Ford not offering this to us as an upgrade?

That's what I'm confused about still. If it's only hardware, Ford should offer it. If it's software as well, I can see why ford may not want to get into stuff like that.

However, how can this website sell this as a kit and it work for you if it requires software as well.

So that then brings me back to, it's just hardware.... and if so, then I'd get the part numbers and order the parts off one of the discounted Ford sites that sells parts close to cost and blow that price away.

Ford doesnt want to sell you a $2000 radio, Ford wants to sell you a $55k vehicle.

No reason for Ford to offer any upgrade which would increase they dev/test and support costs on an outdated platform.

This would be a nice setup to be able to keep factory look and setup. Will it truly be compatible though?

It does look suspicious to me. According to the one and only write up about upgrade to SYNC 3 on Taurus SHO forum it had involved vehicle configurables reprogrammed, which doesn't make SYNC 3 installation a plug&play.

Anyway, it is only matter of time until someone realizes how to upgrade to SYNC 3.
Pretty much what is needed is IDS+VCM and hardware.
BTW, it's been already discovered how to copy navigation maps for MFT, so, as I said, its only a matter of time!

It does look suspicious to me. According to the one and only write up about upgrade to SYNC 3 on Taurus SHO forum it had involved vehicle configurables reprogrammed, which doesn't make SYNC 3 installation a plug&play.

Right but if they start with explorer replacement hardware, then they can probably "build" vehicle specific plug and play kits.
I'm just speculating, but that would make sense to me.

If it is truly "plug & play" I might bite. If I can swap back Sync2 for service, etc, and have no issues then 2k might be worth it. I LOVE my '15 sport, my only 2 gripes are MFT and they removed the climate controls from the right display, this would take away the main gripe and spending 2k to give my vehicle another 5 years of satisfaction may be worth it for me.

The 30 day warranty needs to be revised though, it should be 1 year minimum on parts for the kit without having to bump the price another 300$.

If it is truly "plug & play" I might bite. If I can swap back Sync2 for service, etc, and have no issues then 2k might be worth it. I LOVE my '15 sport, my only 2 gripes are MFT and they removed the climate controls from the right display, this would take away the main gripe and spending 2k to give my vehicle another 5 years of satisfaction may be worth it for me.

The 30 day warranty needs to be revised though, it should be 1 year minimum on parts for the kit without having to bump the price another 300$.

I agree, drop the price to $1000 and one year warranty and then people will show an interest, Way too expensive for anyone to jump now without warranty.

Although I did get to use SYNC3 for 15 minutes in a friends C-Max and man is it dumbed down now.

Although I did get to use SYNC3 for 15 minutes in a friends C-Max and man is it dumbed down now.

That depends on how you look at it though. It "supposedly" will have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support which will make it infinitely more versatile. Simple, fast, and easy interface is exactly what the car needs. I hope those features don't become the next App Link though (nonexistent) or it will be a bust.

That depends on how you look at it though. It "supposedly" will have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support which will make it infinitely more versatile. Simple, fast, and easy interface is exactly what the car needs. I hope those features don't become the next App Link though (nonexistent) or it will be a bust.

I was trying Apple CarPlay for the first time on a friends 16 Honda Civic the other day, that system is very slick.

I was very impressed with how well it manages Messages and the big surprise was how well Apple Maps worked on it. I wonder what the OEM's are going to do about Navigation systems if most people just use CarPlay or Android Auto.

I just spent 55k on a vehicle with a crappy interface. What's a couple g more? I'm down.

I'm getting it and will be the Guinea pig I guess.

I just spent 55k on a vehicle with a crappy interface. What's a couple g more? I'm down.

I'm getting it and will be the Guinea pig I guess.

Would be more than grateful if you documented the parts and process...

Hmmm, what do you mean? Were you using a beta version or something or the current release. Not sure if they even had a beta version out.

I am seriously contemplating getting a 2016 Edge Sport this summer. If Sync3 is not ready for prime time I will wait for the 2017 model year.

Thanks!

I will document. I have a pioneer in my Shelby Terlingua. It has Apple Carplay, and I love it over anything else I have. Calling tomorrow, and ordering asap. Ill start my own thread on the whole process. I do so mich in mods on my other cars, I guess my take on spending 2k on my daily just seems a no brainer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back