Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by blwnsmoke, December 9, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. HDJulie

HDJulie Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Little Rock, AR
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Explorer Platinum
      So I ordered the unit & my husband installed it for me. Took him about an hour. It works great & the installation videos on the site are very helpful. I'm very pleased though I did suddenly start getting a message that my front camera has low visibility & to clean it. I've done that & verified that it works but still get the message every time I go somewhere. I emailed 4DTech to verify that the unit has nothing to do with the camera connection. If I end up taking it in, I'll revert back to the MFT beforehand.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      This low visibility refers to the windshield mounted front camera not the one in the grill. Just making sure you realize that?

4. HDJulie

HDJulie Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Little Rock, AR
      2016 Explorer Platinum
      I did not realize that. Thanks, that might be the problem then.

5. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
      This is a super easy install/switch out, whatever you want to call it, the only problem I have is paying about $2,100 for SYNC 3 with navigation. Cell phone navigation works great until you lose reception, similar to streaming music, it works great until you lose reception. $1,500 is reasonable, but not $2,100 IMO.

6. HDJulie

HDJulie Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Little Rock, AR
      2016 Explorer Platinum
      I agree -- it is a high price. But it's the only option for getting away from MFT & I'm happy with the switch. I intend to keep this car for 10 years or more & I'm hoping Sync 3 will continue to be updated & new features added for at least a few years, so I consider it an investment. Plus, as you mentioned, it is a very easy install & can be done with no extra expense. We are upgrading my husband's 2006 Silverado with a new Pioneer unit & will pay to have it installed which adds a couple hundred dollars to the price.

7. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
      Unfortunately I don't view cars as investments, but on the contrary I view them as expenses, especially US cars that depreciate relatively fast and steady. I owned a first and third generation Explorer and those because of their design I had no trouble upgrading their audio systems in, etc., but this generation of Explorer I don't have a lot confidence in when or if it will get into higher mileage. By everything I've read it's an expensive car to maintain based on the problems I've read about in the other forum, plus a new design will come out within the next couple of years. This is the other forum the 2011 - 2018 Ford Explorer that I'm referring to:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?forums/stock-2011-2018-ford-explorer-discussion.152/

8. HDJulie

HDJulie Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Little Rock, AR
      2016 Explorer Platinum
      I didn't mean an investment in that it would increase the monetary value, I meant as an investment in what I'd be able to do with the features coming later since MFT is likely done as far as new functionality goes. I'm at the point where I need to scale back so I can focus on being in a good financial situation as I get closer to retirement age. It's still a ways off but close enough that I have to consider it. So I'm investing IN the car. Plus, I'm a gadget geek so I like new toys :)

9. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
      What is most unfortunate is that MFT SYNC 2 that came out as late as 2015 on Ford vehicles will forgotten with no new updates, nor will there ever be any Apps for it, even though there was placeholder for them.

Last edited: August 15, 2017
    10. Quick

Quick Active Member

City, State:
      IL
      2014 Explorer Sport
      Do you have a list of the individual parts needed? I've been wanting to do this but like others, have a hard time spending that much.

Looks like the parts are:
      • Genuine Ford voice activated navigation system control module
      • Genuine Ford 8" Capacitive Touchscreen
      • Screen to module cable
      • Under dash, retrofit GPS antenna (Required - existing antenna NOT compatible)
      • Replacement Media Hub
      • Media Hub Wiring Adapter
      One advantage, it looks like, is that they program it for you. Without this, sounds like after you install it you'd have to go to a Ford dealer?
      • Vehicle specific programming - NO trip to the dealer required! (VIN Required During Checkout)

11. KonaExplorer

KonaExplorer New Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      2011 Limited 4WD
      I've just upgraded my 2011 Explorer from sync2 to sync3. It was very straight forward and everything seems to be working as it should. Jason at fordpimods.com made it an easy cut and paste.