Upgrading Suspension / self levelling shocks Help Please | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading Suspension / self levelling shocks Help Please

Hi all
The air from mine is leaking down the inside of the shocks, just ordered 2 new shocks from ebay USA, monroe 40006 and 40007 replacement OEM parts they work with the ARC system, will see if this cures my first problem, then I can start on my others!

How much did they sting you for shipping on those ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not much Rock auto wanted a fortune but where I ordered these the shipping cost was reasonable each one including p&p is just over £89, someone I rang in England wanted £125 each plus p&p, second hand ones from a scrapyard were over £60 each, so I think I have done well.

Not much Rock auto wanted a fortune but where I ordered these the shipping cost was reasonable each one including p&p is just over £89, someone I rang in England wanted £125 each plus p&p, second hand ones from a scrapyard were over £60 each, so I think I have done well.

Good stuff!

Finally got my new shocks ended up getting them from Rock autos, ones from flea bay never came. Got a good deal and extra 5% discount using a code. Arranged fitting next week but instructions that came with shocks says that the warning light on the dash may still come on, may need to cut some wires to light to stop it coming on, if so can you not just cut the wires and keep the original shocks?

All of the UK Explorers were built with self levelling rear suspension, with ride height controlled by the air bags in the dampers. The height sensor detects the ride height and if it is low, air is pumped into the dampers to lift the rear of the car to the correct height. If the ride height becomes too high, then air is released from the dampers until the correct height is maintained. Faults in this system are usually found to be caused by the sensor or one or more leaking dampers.

If you replace the standard dampers with normal dampers, then the car will ride low at the rear, because normal dampers provide no lift. The springs will be flattened out in this configuration and fitting longer shackles will attend to the issue if ride height, but will not restore the curve in the rear springs.

The simplest solution to the problem is to correct the fault by replacing any faulty components with ones of the correct specification. New parts are always best, but new springs and dampers should be fitted in pairs. Good, used parts provide another solution, or retro-fitting an older system, for example, the earlier non-ride height adjustable dampers, along with the rear leaf springs.

If you fit after-market parts and the warning light comes on, then there is either something wrong with the parts, or there is a fault elsewhere in the system.

Duncan

If you replace the standard dampers with normal dampers, then the car will ride low at the rear, because normal dampers provide no lift. The springs will be flattened out in this configuration and fitting longer shackles will attend to the issue if ride height, but will not restore the curve in the rear springs. ...
Duncan

Not quite.
The leaf springs of the ARC vehicles are softer than normal Explorer leaf springs. The ARC shocks work together with the softer springs to provide a softer ride, and still maintain a proper ride height.

The old ARC shocks have electronic internal valving to affect stiffness of the shocks. None of the new ARC shocks have that feature, not Ford or aftermarket. That lack of wiring may be what is causing new error codes when any new shock is installed.

I have a fully functional ARC rear leveling system in my 99 truck, but I do not have a console, or the message center. So I don't know if I have any error codes. My shock valving wiring is tied up and out of the way, not cut. Someone else must report as to whether the message center has an error message due installing new ARC shocks.

Hi Duncan, these shocks are Monroe Ford Explorer electronic air leveling conversion damper, its a straight replacement for OEM and the ARC system with the airline connection, the instructions finish by saying " after installation of Explorer air ride control replacement shock absorbers customers have experienced intermittent "ride control" warnings from the message centers. If this occurs please perform the following to eliminate this symptom". It then goes on to describe how to remove circuits and wires from the message center. I agree with you changing the shocks should not effect the warning light, unless there is another fault

Not quite.
The leaf springs of the ARC vehicles are softer than normal Explorer leaf springs. The ARC shocks work together with the softer springs to provide a softer ride, and still maintain a proper ride height.

The old ARC shocks have electronic internal valving to affect stiffness of the shocks. None of the new ARC shocks have that feature, not Ford or aftermarket. That lack of wiring may be what is causing new error codes when any new shock is installed.

I have a fully functional ARC rear leveling system in my 99 truck, but I do not have a console, or the message center. So I don't know if I have any error codes. My shock valving wiring is tied up and out of the way, not cut. Someone else must report as to whether the message center has an error message due installing new ARC shocks.

Hi Don,
the shocks on my Ex have no wiring just an airline, the new shocks look exactly the same with just a hole for the airline connector, maybe the instructions are for the replacement of ones which have an electrical connector has it does mention taping the wiring up into the harness.

The original ARC shocks that came on the truck had those wires, unless something else fishy was going on with the European version. The truck should have the two connectors for those wires up on the cross member very near to where the air line connects. If you didn't have the wiring connected before, the system will work exactly the same. So I think that you are good, just install them, after turning the main switch off first.

Hi Don, you are probably right about the fishy bit, nearly every part on UK models are marked with big stickers EXPORT.

Hmm- I have had two uk models, xlt and now a Northface- like yokur limited version..I have been under both for what seems like months as we all do! No wiring goes to the shocks only airlines on a push fit fixing... loads of Export stickers under there on just about every flat surface big enough!
I think it was almost certainly an adaption made as we dont have the message centers in ours..The xlt had front and rear arc shocks, the NOrthface only rear.

I had a problem with one of my shocks, leaking after I got the Nothface and simply changed the pair for a decent second hand set, no problems since. I hope your new shocks work out well and cant see you having problems........heres hoping anyways!

The 95-98 trucks got the front ARC shocks, all four were ARC. After 98 Ford learned to make it only an option here, and for the rear only. In 95-98 it was standard on Limited and Eddie Bauer models.

I don't know if I have a picture showing the wiring, I installed my ARC system(from scratch) in 2005, with new shocks. So I never dealt with the wiring etc, I just tied it off. My dash light never comes on, it may if the main switch is shut off.

The wiring connectors are gray, clearly they may only be US features. It can be seen here on the far left, lying up on top of the cross member. I wasn't even close with the ARC at that point. I had just finished adding the ARC wiring to the frame harness.

Attachments

• Projectthread050.JPG
    Projectthread050.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 564

uk rear shockers

hi i have dismantled 8 explorers in the last year and the UK explorers don't have any wiring directly to the rear self leveling shockers just air pipes. cheers Chris

If I want to replace the rear self leveling shocks on my UK 1997 Explorer do I need Monroe type MA776 or Monroe 40006/40007?

MA776:
ma776.jpg

40007/40006
40007.jpg

Cheers,

SS

Cant say without the spec sheet- only on looks- the bottom pic looks like a standard arc rear shock...nice to know they are around aftermarket.

Hi SS
I have obtained Monroe 40006/40007 from Rock Autos having them fitted next week, have been told that they are direct replacement for OEM. Watch this space will let you know if they are the right ones .

Stenasev

40006/40007 look to be right. They appear to have the correct fittings and are presumably handed, as are the Ford originals.

Just out of interest, what is the price?

Duncan

Hi Duncan, I paid £154.54 including P&P and VAT which was taken by Rock Autos at the checkout, posted and delivered in 3 days not bad from over the pond.

There are other air shocks, Monroe makes kits with those for sure, compressor and all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back